This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6698 / 51°40'11"N
Longitude: -1.2888 / 1°17'19"W
OS Eastings: 449283
OS Northings: 197016
OS Grid: SU492970
Mapcode National: GBR 7YQ.BZ0
Mapcode Global: VHCY6.M919
Entry Name: Tomkins Almshouses
Listing Date: 19 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368299
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250439
Location: Abingdon, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Abingdon on Thames
Built-Up Area: Abingdon
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Abingdon-on-Thames
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
752 OCK STREET
SU 4997 1/12 19.1.51 Tomkin's Almshouses
Founded 1733. A unified composition, consisting of eight dwellings in
two parallel ranges, end gables to the road, linked by a gateway and
pedimented tower. Tiled roofs. Two storeys.
To Ock Street, two 'Dutch' gable ends with stone coping and two ball
finials. Blue brick, red brick rusticated dressings to windows and
painted pilastered quoins. One window each storey. To first floor,
flat arched two light casement, band continues cills. To ground
floor, segmental arched windows with keystone, four light casement,
above recessed panel. Brick gate piers, stone coping and ball finials,
double doors. Two stone srteps.
Tile Almshouses face the courtyard. Blue brick with red brick rusticated
dressings two windows. Dentil and red brick cornice. Segmental arched
windows with labels. Leaded casements. Blue brick recessed aprons to
Segmental arched doorways, stone architrave with keystone. Central
archway, stone architrave with keystone, has a brick castellated parapet
above. Taller, gabled gateway block has central archway with stone
keystone and impost bands below a panel with inscription and circular
lunette, blocked, with stone architrave, flanked by brick panels with
stone ball finials and surmounted by a small pediment, plain linking
Weather vane dated "1733 BT". Two tall chimney stacks.
Conduit Road elevation. Red and blue brick on rubble base. Dentil
cornice. Two single light windows flank Ely's Conduit (qv), leaded
casements, segmental brick architraves.
Nos. 23 and Tomkin's Almshouses form a group.
Listing NGR: SU4928397016
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings