History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Strattenborough Castle

A Grade II Listed Building in Watchfield, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6277 / 51°37'39"N

Longitude: -1.6585 / 1°39'30"W

OS Eastings: 423738

OS Northings: 192152

OS Grid: SU237921

Mapcode National: GBR 5VZ.TT7

Mapcode Global: VHC0R.6CL1

Entry Name: Strattenborough Castle

Listing Date: 31 October 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368372

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250619

Location: Watchfield, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN6

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Watchfield

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Shrivenham with Watchfield and Bourton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Highworth

Listing Text

1. WATCHFIELD HIGHWORTH ROAD
Strattenborough Castle
SU 29 SW 1/80

II


2.
Dated 1792 on the N front to the left of the main door above a ground floor window
Built to double as a working farm and a Gothick eye-catcher for Coleshill House.
Rubble stone and brick with dressed stone quoins and openings. The farmhouse faces
its yard to the S, but its N front rises above the dwelling's roofline to form a wall
with 2 castellated projecting sham towers, one square the other polygonal. The
combination of materials suggests either a late C18 sensitivity to the organic growth
of a building: brick additions to an earlier, stone structure or a complete
rehabilitation at a much later date. The whole N facade is punctuated by mullioned
and cross mullioned windows, some blind, others with 9 pane sashes. Other features
include single and cruciform arrowslits, elaborate string coursing and stone arched
surrounds with brick infil. A wall from the main block links it on the E with a
stepped gabled barn. This is symmetrically balanced to the W by another, larger, barn
with a gabled stone tiled roof which is set further back and has a N end with an
enormous sham window of 5 lights, partly ruinous, all bricked in . Below this
'window' is a genuine C11 Norman tympanum and above it, set in brick, the date 1794.


Listing NGR: SU2373892152

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.