History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ashbury, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5653 / 51°33'55"N

Longitude: -1.6217 / 1°37'18"W

OS Eastings: 426316

OS Northings: 185228

OS Grid: SU263852

Mapcode National: GBR 5WS.YL8

Mapcode Global: VHC0Y.VX0D

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 21 November 1966

Last Amended: 11 December 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368375

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250638

Location: Ashbury, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN6

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Ashbury

Built-Up Area: Ashbury

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Ashbury

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Woolstone

Listing Text

ASHBURY
SU28NE
5/11 The Manor House
21/11/66 (Formerly listed as Manor
House.)
GV II*


House, c.1488 with additions in early C16, 1697 and later. Built for Abbot
Selwood of Glastonbury Abbey. Light brown limestone ashlar to ground floor and
chalk ashlar to first floor. Porch of uncoursed sarsen rubble, with first floor
faced in Flemish bond brick with vitrified headers. To right of straight joint
right of porch walling is of chalk. West gable wall of sarsen uncoursed random
rubble. Rear elevation of squared and coursed chalk. Rendered gable-end stacks
and chalk block rear stack: stone slate roof. Ground-floor hall house; L-shaped
plan with hall and two parlours, originally detached from east kitchen block
which was joined to house in early C16; first floor contained garderobe in rear
wing and has two large chambers for Abott and lodgers. 2-storey, 3:1:2
fenestration. 3 centered arch with moulded architrave to porch and 4-centered
arch with moulded architrave and quatrefoiled spandrels to original studded and
planked front door. 3-bay facade to left has 4-light stone mullioned and
transomed windows to ground floor and 2-light stone mullioned windows to first
floor: each window has flattened ogee and cinquefoiled head and each bay
divided by buttress: similar 2-light window to first floor of porch; early C16
2-light stone-mullioned window with arched head to first floor right of porch;
other windows are mid-C20 casements, one of which blocks original doorway to
kitchen. Insertions c.1960 include 4-centered door replacing window in west
gable wall; 2-light stone mullioned window in similar style to top right hand
of north facing gable of projecting rear wing. Some other C15 windows have been
restored; rear wing has 2 early C18 leaded casements. Gabled roof; end and
ridge stacks. Interior: Large chamfered beam and bressumer in kitchen. Hall
has moulded beams with floral bosses (including Tudor Rose) at intersections;
early-mid C16 panelled partition divides original hall in two; stopped chamfers
to beam in rear wall. Stud and plank partition on first floor divided Abbot's
chamber from lodgers' dormitory; moulded cornice to both rooms. Abbot 5 chamber
has carved frieze with mouchettes. Perpendicular style corbels beneath present
inserted ceiling support arch-braced roof with curved struts to collar,
chamfered butt purlins, cusped windbraces. Between Abbot's chamber and the room
over the porch is a screen with trefoil-headed openings to the upper half.
Winders to straight-flight stone stairs at junction with rear wing; adjoining
stairs is plank and stud screen with 2-arched doors having moulded oak
architraves, opening to 2 rooms in rear wing, one formerly the garderobe.
Early C19, 1x1 bay rear block, joined by 2 storey block to main range. Squared
and coursed chalk with brick dressings; tiled and hipped roof; mid C20 2-light
2-light leaded casements; brick string at floor level and dentil eaves. One
brick rendered lateral stack. The Manor House was built by Abbot Selwood
(1457-93) as a lodging place for students on their way to Gloucester College,
Oxford, and for the Abbot travelling on the Somerset to London road. Parallels
have been drawn between this early example of a 2-storey manor house and the
similar late C15 Somerset priests' houses connected with 61astonbury Abbey: the
cusped windbraces and arch braces are also typical of western carpentry syles.
(Country Life. Oct. 20, 19bb, pp.974-7: Oct.27,1966, pp.ii)84-7: M. Wood,
"Ashbury Manor Berks", Transactions of the Newbury & Districts Field Club XI,
No.3,pp. 5-18.)


Listing NGR: SU2631685228

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.