History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Buckland House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Buckland, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6816 / 51°40'53"N

Longitude: -1.5089 / 1°30'31"W

OS Eastings: 434052

OS Northings: 198212

OS Grid: SU340982

Mapcode National: GBR 6WX.HBM

Mapcode Global: VHC0F.SZPQ

Entry Name: Buckland House

Listing Date: 21 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368380

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250865

Location: Buckland, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Buckland

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Gainfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bampton

Listing Text

BUCKLAND BUCKLAND PARK
SU39NW
2/13 Buckland House
21/11/66
GV II*

Country House. c.1757 for Sir Robert Throckmorton by John Wood the younger;
alterations and additions c.1910 by Romaine Walker. Limestone ashlar and
rusticated limestone; Welsh slate and lead roof; limestone ashlar stacks.
original plan was house flanked by low wings with octagonal pavilions. Large
side wings added c.1910. Two storeys and attic; 5 bays 1:3:1 fenestration with
giant order of Corinthian capitals to central pediment. Ashlar to basement with
wedged and keyed lintels over sashes. Chamfered rustication to ground floor and
porch of c.1910, whcih has keyed semi-circular arch over 4-panelled double-leaf
doors with fanlight and balustraded parapet. Porch flanked by sashes in similar
openings. Alternate first-floor sashes set in pedimented Corinthian aedicules on
consoles. Floating cornices and Corinthian columns frame windows flanked centre
bay. Garlands and putti to broad frieze; 2-light attic windows; Ionic
modillioned cornice. Hipped roof; prominent ridge stack and lesser internal
stacks. Low 9-bay side wings of early C20 French windows alternating with blind
round-headed alcoves and with balustraded parapet connect main block to outer
octagonal pavilions; pedimented front bay of each pavilion has paired Doric
pilasters breaking into a Venetian window with Doric pilasters, and side walls
have semi-circular arches over sashes. Low balustrades link main block to
pavilions and to steps fronting right pavilion. Two storey and attic, 3 x 5 bay
blocks to left and right of central block built c.1910 in similar style and
materials. Tympanum of central projection and rear bays has carved heraldic
crest. Interior: Entrance hall c,1910 with coupled Roman Ionic pilaster and
garlanded panels over each of 6-panelled doors. Saloon of c.1757 behind hall has
consoles to floating cornices aver 6-panelled doors, modillioned cornice to fine
plaster coving with modillions and swags and painted ceiling depicting Reni's s
"Aurora". Large chimney piece. Room to left has fine late C18 coloured marble
fireplace and garlanded frieze to ceiling with rococo plasterwork. Staircase of
c.1910) in original position to rear left of hall. Doric pilasters frame walls of
passage to east pavilion, possibly a chapel, which has Corinthian angle
pilasters, modillioned cornice and garlanded frieze to ceiling with strapwork;
alternating pedimented Corinthian aedicules and semi-circular arches with
coffered reveals to projecting bays; head of Apollo with rays to fireplace. West
pavilion has scagliola Corinthian columns, late C18 fireplace, frieze with putti
and modillions to painting ceiling by Cupicani and Rebecca depicting various
Arts and Sciences. First floor: semi-circular arches with coffered reveals, mid
C18 fireplaces, more elaborate fireplaces and plaster friezes to main rooms on
right. Corinthian capitals to Venetian windows in side walls. Flanking blocks of
c.1910; Queen Anne style rooms with bolection moulded panelling to left and
painted ceiling in room with panelled dado to right; bathrooms with inlaid
marble walls to both floors an right.
(Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1660-1840,
1978, p.912; Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.105-6; A.S.N. Wright, The
History of Buckland, 1966, pp.45-7, 65).


Listing NGR: SU3405298212

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.