History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Baulking, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6138 / 51°36'49"N

Longitude: -1.5425 / 1°32'32"W

OS Eastings: 431774

OS Northings: 190651

OS Grid: SU317906

Mapcode National: GBR 6XN.LWD

Mapcode Global: VHC0T.6PXQ

Entry Name: Church Farmhouse

Listing Date: 15 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368411

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250831

Location: Baulking, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Baulking

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Baulking

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Balking

Listing Text

BAULKING
SU39SW
5/2 Church Farmhouse
GV II

Farmhouse. c.1740. Chalk ashlar; stone slate roof; brick stacks. 2-unit
lobby-entry plan with continuous outshut. 2-storey, 3-window range. Central
6-panelled (2 glazed) door with C20 parch. Concrete lintels on ground floor over
mid/late C19 three-light casements; similar casements under eaves, but centre
window has been blocked. Two late C19 gabled roof dormers. Half-hipped roof;
ridge stack, left end stack off ridge, rear right lateral stack. Large late C19
gabled roof dormer to rear. Interior: Original 2-panelled doors and stone flag
floor in centre, where an archway has been knocked through the stack. Room to
left has original fielded panelling, moulded dado, cornice and beam. Room to
right has original straight-cut panelling, moulded dado and cornice; original
wood architrave to fireplace and corner cupboard. Lobby has original moulded
plaster cornice. In centre of rear outshut are dog-leg stairs with winders and
closed string, moulded balusters and panelled dado, Original fireplace in rear
right room. First floor has original fireplaces to left and right, the latter
with cast iron grate of c.1850. Ribbed doors in loft. Subsidiary features:
2-storey dairy and cheese room with 1833 datestone in gable wall attached to
right. Chalk block ground floor, English bond brick to first floor; late C20
tile roof. Front has concrete and timber lintels, segmental brick arches to
rear, over late C19 two-and 3-light casements one of which blocks rear door.
Interior has chamfered beams on ground floor. Attached to front of this block is
a mid-late C19 brewhouse incorporating a C18 brick wall with dentilled eaves to
left.


Listing NGR: SU3177490651

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.