History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

New House

A Grade II Listed Building in Longworth, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6709 / 51°40'15"N

Longitude: -1.4292 / 1°25'44"W

OS Eastings: 439572

OS Northings: 197056

OS Grid: SU395970

Mapcode National: GBR 6X6.CG8

Mapcode Global: VHC0P.58TF

Entry Name: New House

Listing Date: 21 November 1966

Last Amended: 15 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368421

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250982

Location: Longworth, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Kingston Bagpuize with Southmo

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Kingston Bagpuze

Listing Text

LONGWORTH SOUTHMOOR
SU39NE
3/152 New House
21/11/66 (Formerly listed as New House
(Southmoor Preparatory School)
II

House. c.1710. Rendered, coursed limestone rubble exposed on right side; old
tile roof; brick stacks. Double pile plan. Early Georgian style. 2 storeys and
attic; 5-bay. Keyed semi-circular arch over 6-panelled door with fanlight, set
in broken pediment with engaged Doric columns on steps. Segmental arches over
6-pane sashes with original thick glazing bars. Banded rustication to basement,
which has two C20 two-light casements. Moulded cornice. 2 gabled dormers with
early C19 sashes. Hipped roof; early C18 end stacks have two flues connected by
semi-circular arch; mid C19 internal stack. Left side wall has one similar
window. Right side wall has early C18 gabled 2-storey 3-bay projection; central
plank door with flat hood and leaded overlights flanked by segmental arches over
2-light cross windows with leaded lights; semi-circular arch over early C18
first-floor sash, flanked by flat arches over 2-light leaded casements. To rear
are segmental arches over central 6-panelled door with overlight flanked by
3-light cross windows, one with leaded lights; central 2-light cross window on
first floor flanked by early C18 sashes with original glazing bars. Interior:
partly remodelled c.1830. Two-panelled doors in moulded architraves, panelled
shutters, fine Baroque fireplace and moulded cornice in left room. Early C19
fireplace and moulded cornice in right room. Passage to central vestibule, which
has early C18 quarter-turn with landing stairs, having wreathed handrail and
turned balusters on open string. First floor has early C19 panelled shutters,
fireplaces and moulded cornices, except early C18 cornices to rear. Subsidiary
features: Early C18 one-storey brewhouse, of coursed limestone rubble with
hipped old tile roof, brick ridge stack and original open fireplace attached to
rear right.


Listing NGR: SU3957297056

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.