This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6664 / 51°39'58"N
Longitude: -1.4802 / 1°28'48"W
OS Eastings: 436049
OS Northings: 196527
OS Grid: SU360965
Mapcode National: GBR 6X4.JL2
Mapcode Global: VHC0N.9CCX
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 21 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250992
Location: Pusey, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Pusey
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Gainfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
3/162 Church of All Saints
Church. 1745-50 for J.A. Pusey; top of tower c.1840. Limestone ashlar to west
porch, dressed and coursed limestone with strap pointing and ashlar quoins to
other walls; roof not visible. Oblong plan, with transeptal north and south
chapels and west tower and porch. Mid Georgian style. Venetian east window;
memorial inscription to William White d.1655 in south wall of chancel. Venetian
windows to end walls of transeptal chapels which have flat string with cavetto
moulded soffit beneath parapet; also two lunettes flanking segmental arch over
6-panelled (2 glazed) door to each of west walls. Semi-circular keyed arch with
impost blocks to each side wall of nave, which has similar arch to pedimented
west porch; segmental arch over 3-panelled double-leaf west door in porch.
Parapet ramped up to west tower of c.1840; similar semi-circular arches with
plain string at impost level and bracketed Italian style cornice to Greek
acroteria. Interior: Moulded plaster cornices. Carved face of Christ in south
chancel wall. Semi-circular keyed chancel arch with impost blocks; mid C19 rail.
Venetian screens to side chapels. South chapel has pedimented doorway with Roman
Ionic pilasters, wall tablet to Philip Pusey d.1867 and large monument by Peter
Scheemakers to Jane and J.A. Pusey d. 1742 and 1753; broken pediment and Roman
Ionic pilasters frame reredos with bust over reclining female figure holding
book. North chapel has oval tablet by William Bird for M. Dunch, d.1679, which
has crude weeping putti flanking heraldic crest at top; Nave has elaborate mid
C18 octagonal font, royal arms carved in stone over door and reset incised
memorial slab with figures of Henry Dogget and wife. d.1480.
(R. Gunn, Dictionary of British Sculptors, 1600-1821, 1951, pp,55, 344;
Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.195).
Listing NGR: SU3604996526
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings