History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Hinton Waldrist, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6896 / 51°41'22"N

Longitude: -1.4575 / 1°27'26"W

OS Eastings: 437598

OS Northings: 199119

OS Grid: SU375991

Mapcode National: GBR 6WZ.4B0

Mapcode Global: VHC0G.PSBM

Entry Name: The Grange

Listing Date: 21 November 1966

Last Amended: 15 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368432

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250937

Location: Hinton Waldrist, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Hinton Waldrist

Built-Up Area: Hinton Waldrist

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hinton Waldrist

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Kingston Bagpuze

Listing Text

HINTON WALDRIST
SU39NE
3/106 The Grange
21/11/66 (Formerly listed as Grange
Farmhouse)
- II

Farmhouse, now house. Date 1664 in kitchen. Random limestone rubble; stone slate
roof; stone stacks finished in brick. L-plan. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window
range. Flat brick arch over 6-panelled door with overlight and reset (not
original) carved consoles to flat hood. Rendered flat brick arches over original
2-light leaded casements. Brick storey band. 3 gabled roof dormers with 2-light
leaded casements. Gabled roof; gable end external stacks. Similar 2-storey,
2-window range to rear left, with gabled Welsh slate roof, brick gable end
stack, and outshut to part of left wall. C20 door with porch, and C20 casements,
Interior: Old elm flooring, early C19 four-panelled and late C17 two-panelled
bolection-moulded doors. Timber framed partition walls. 3-unit front range has
4-centred ovolo-moulded arch over fireplace to left; early C19 fireplace flanked
by round-headed alcoves and C17 moulded plaster beam with elaborate stop to
right; newel stairs to right of central room have late C17 staircase inserted
c.1970. Back kitchen to rear left has newel stairs, chamfered beam and date 1664
inscribed on plasterwork. 5-bay collar truss roof with side struts and butt
purlins over front range; similar 3-bay roof to rear.


Listing NGR: SU3759899119

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.