History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ham House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wantage, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5844 / 51°35'3"N

Longitude: -1.4379 / 1°26'16"W

OS Eastings: 439040

OS Northings: 187434

OS Grid: SU390874

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y5.P8Y

Mapcode Global: VHC12.1F5Q

Entry Name: Ham House

Listing Date: 22 April 1950

Last Amended: 6 December 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368457

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251189

Location: Wantage, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Wantage

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Wantage

Listing Text

WANTAGE ICKLETON R0AD
SU3987 (South side)
7/93 Ham House
22/04/50 (Formerly listed as The Ham)

GV II*


House. c.1740; mid/late C19 one-bay extension to left. Front of Flemish bond red
brick; old tile roof; flared and red brick stacks. Double-depth plan. Two storey
and attic; 3-window range. Central gabled entrance bay brought forward and
surmounted by 3 ball finials; fine Ionic Venetian window with blind balustrade
above Venetian doorway with C20 door and glazing. Gauged brick flat arches over
late C18 sashes in outer bays. Moulded cornice; late C19 bay to left of front in
similar style and materials with lateral moulded stack and rear canted bay.
One-bay wings, to rear of main range, with hipped roofs and mid C18 sash to
right, flank large central canted bay of flared brick with red brick dressings,
flanking stacks and pyramidal roof; central bay and left block have moulded
string and plinth courses and gauged brick flat arches over sashes; much of
right block hidden by mid/late C19 range to right of front and has T-shaped mid
C18 one-storey range to rear. Interior: Front hall with black and white
stone-tiled floor has mid C18 six-panelled doors in shouldered architraves with
elaborate carved cornices to left and right. 3-bay screen of fluted Doric
columns to rear hall which has similar doors and finely carved fireplace;
open-well stairs with turned balusters and banisters ramped to fluted newel
posts to rear left; quarter-turn stairs with turned balusters and 3-bay
round-headed triple-keyed screen to right. Room to left of hall has
bolection-moulded panelling and fine mid C18 fireplace reset in left side wall;
rood to right has early C18 fireplace. First floor has round-headed doorways
with key and impost blocks; 6-panelled doors. One-storey block to rear right has
similar doorways with carved cornices to panelled room which has fine fireplace
with cherub's head to bolection-moulded overmantle and broken pediment to
central urn; room to rear has late C19 Georgian-style panelling.


Listing NGR: SU3904087434

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.