History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

11 and 12, Market Place

A Grade II Listed Building in Wantage, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5884 / 51°35'18"N

Longitude: -1.4267 / 1°25'36"W

OS Eastings: 439815

OS Northings: 187882

OS Grid: SU398878

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y6.648

Mapcode Global: VHC12.7B3P

Entry Name: 11 and 12, Market Place

Listing Date: 22 April 1950

Last Amended: 6 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368461

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251207

Location: Wantage, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Wantage

Built-Up Area: Wantage

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Wantage

Listing Text

SU 3987 NE WANTAGE MARKET PLACE
(South side)
542/9/111
Nos.11 and 12
22.04.1950

GV II


Town house, now house and shop. Circa late C16 and C17 timber-frame; remodelled and faced in brick in circa early C18. Flared header bond brick, red brick quoins and dressings; right side wall in Flemish bond brick with flared headers; Welsh slate roof; brick stacks. L-plan. 3 storeys; 4-window range. Shop front of c.1890-1900 has twisted columns to acanthus leaf capitals and acanthus leaf consoles to moulded cornice; 2 double-leaf doors with cut-glass panels. Gauged brick segmental arches with decorative keystones to mid C19 horned sashes. Moulded wood cornice. Hipped roof; lateral and end stacks. Similar 3-window range with C18 doorway to right side wall; similar one-bay block extending from right side wall has 6-panelled door with overlight and moulded brackets to flat hood. To rear is 2-storey and attic 2-window range, probably C17, of Flemish bond brick with flared headers, double-gabled tile roof and brick lateral and rear stacks. Rear door has late C19 stained glass panels. C18 sash, late C19 border sashes with coloured glass borders and full dormer with 2-light leaded casement to left, side wall. Interior: Late C19 dog-leg stairs with iron balusters adjoining pneumatic Lampson-Paragon tube. First-floor room to left has panelling to left side and to rear. Rear wing has early C18 quarter-turn stairs with moulded balusters. Fine late C19 fireplace with tiled surround to rear room.
INTERIOR: The brick cladding conceals substantial remains of a 3-storeyed [probably jettied] timber-frame, of L-shaped plan, with a tenoned-purlin roof structure with tie-beam and collar trusses with kneed principals.

Listing NGR: SU3981387869

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.