This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5998 / 51°35'59"N
Longitude: -1.1248 / 1°7'29"W
OS Eastings: 460716
OS Northings: 189359
OS Grid: SU607893
Mapcode National: GBR 911.QFJ
Mapcode Global: VHCYP.G17X
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 9 December 1949
Last Amended: 9 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368477
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249276
Location: Wallingford, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Wallingford
Built-Up Area: Wallingford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
WALLINGFORD MARKET PLACE
SL16089SE (South side)
11/113 Town Hall
09/12/49 (Formerly listed as Town Hall
Town hall. c,1670, repaired 1822, repaired and altered 1887, addition of c. 1933.
Stone Doric columns to ground floor, with some rendered brick infill to rear.
Lined render on timber framing to first floor; old plain-tile hipped roof, brick
ridge stack to rear. 2-storey and attic; 5-window range with main front to end
facing Market Place. Open columned ground floor. Venetian window with glazing
bars and painted columned surround and balcony with wrought iron balustrade to
first floor centre. Quoins to corners of building. Cornice to eaves. Gabled
dormer having Venetian window with glazing bars. Left return to St. Mary's s
Street: 3 bays to ground floor right infilled, with 12-pane unhorned sashes with
painted architrave surrounds. 12-pane unhorned sashes with painted architrave
surrounds and cornices to first floor. 2 hipped dormers. Interior: stone winder
stair to cellar. Chamfered spine beam with ogee end stops to cellar. Council
chamber to first floor: fielded panelling to dado. Square Doric half-columns
with dentil cornice supporting tie beams of roof, 8-panel doors to each side of
dias with architrave surrounds and pediments. Committee room: fielded panelling
With dentil cornice to dado. C18 stone fireplace with C19 cast-iron grate.
Moulded plaster panels to ceiling. Curved principal roof construction visible to
attic. Addition of c.1933 of external staircase and 2-bays in same style to
right return of St, Martin's Street. History: Council Chamber renndelled;by
removal of ceiling to farm curved ceiling, in 1887, to celebrate Queen
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, I966, p.249; V.C.H, Berkshire, Vol,111, 1923,
Listing NGR: SU6071689359
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings