This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.587 / 51°35'13"N
Longitude: -1.4263 / 1°25'34"W
OS Eastings: 439845
OS Northings: 187726
OS Grid: SU398877
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y6.D6Y
Mapcode Global: VHC12.7CBR
Entry Name: St Anne's House
Listing Date: 22 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368487
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251243
Location: Wantage, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Wantage
Built-Up Area: Wantage
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
WANTAGE NEWBURY STREET
SU3987 (West side)
7/145 St. Anne's House
Town house, now dormitory accommodation for St. Mary's School (q.v.) since 1935.
Early C18; refronted and extended to right c.1880, Yellow brick with red brick
dressings and raised limestone ashlar quoins; early C18 flared brick with red
brick dressings to left side and partly exposed to rear; roof not visible; brick
stacks. Original 2-unit plan. 3 storeys; 5-window range. Triple-keyed cambered
arches over late C19 sashes with half-H aprons on first and second floors. Stone
plinth course; raised brick storey bands; moulded stone cornice to panelled
parapet. Hipped roof; end stacks. Front left stack with stone astragal and
cornice. 2-window range left side wall has gauged brick segmental arches with
keystones over blind windows; 2 early C18 sashes in similar surrounds to rear.
Entry to right in late C19 two-storey extension in similar style to right;
chamfered elliptical arch over late C19 door. Interior: Panelled doors and
shutters. Early C18 round-headed arch to late C19 panelled room with fireplace
to left. Early C18 winder stairs have fluted column-on-vase balusters, fluted
newel post and panelled dado; rusticated oak boarding to casing. Keyed round
headed arch with moulded imposts and panelled reveals to panelled landing.
First-floor room to left has bolection-moulded panelling with segmental-headed
recesses either side of fluted pilasters flanking fireplace. Late C19 block to
right has plaster ceiling and stained glass windows in ground-floor room.
Dormitory accommodation for St. Mary's School (q.v.) since 1935.
Listing NGR: SU3984587726
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings