History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sudbury House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Faringdon, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6587 / 51°39'31"N

Longitude: -1.5773 / 1°34'38"W

OS Eastings: 429335

OS Northings: 195626

OS Grid: SU293956

Mapcode National: GBR 5VP.XQZ

Mapcode Global: VHC0L.MK0T

Entry Name: Sudbury House

Listing Date: 10 November 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368525

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249437

Location: Great Faringdon, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Great Faringdon

Built-Up Area: Faringdon

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Faringdon

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Faringdon

Listing Text

GREAT FARINGDON LONDON STREET
SU 2995 (south side)

3/99 No 56 (Sudbury House)

10.11.52

- II*

Earlier C18 rubble stone house on earlier core altered c.1815-20. L-plan with
short rear west wing, 2-storey and attic with stone tiled roofs. Main range
with 2 ashlar corniced ridge stacks and one eaves stack at west side. Roof
hipped at west angle. c.1815-20 all but the eastern end was refronted and the
whole range was rendered. Eastern section 2 windows with thick glazing bars to
ground floor pair. Main section has 2 very large full-height curved bows with
curved stone tiled roofs and triple sash windows with glazing bars. Central
arched doorcase with reeded surround and fluted half-columns each side. 6-panel
door with radiating bar fanlight. Stone porch in front with Tuscan columns and
incised decoration to frieze, 6 columns, the centre pair projected with canted
sides. Modern glazing between columns. At east end of main range is early C19
1-window range with 16-pane sash windows and stone east wall chimney. Brick
east wall. West side: 2-window range, roof hipped to rear, possibly former
stair gable. 1 curved head dormer. Glazing bar sash windows above, round
arched windows below behind C20 verandah. Rear: rubble stone with 2 hipped
dormers. Range of altered cross windows to first floor, ground floor west side
masked by 2-storey c.1920 rear addition. Low 2-storey early C19 red brick range
to east side, stone tiled roof, some iron-framed casements and small wood oriel.
Interior: early C19 rooms created within older shell leaving fielded panelled
doors, moulded cornices, chamfered beams and length of fielded panelling in
upstairs room behind later wall. Full height staircase hall in centre with
stair around 3 sides. Early C19 plaster mouldings. Plank doors to attic.
Tie-beam and collar trusses. Records from 1703. Named from Samuel Sadbury,
owner c.1740.


Listing NGR: SU2933595626

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.