This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6801 / 51°40'48"N
Longitude: -1.4108 / 1°24'39"W
OS Eastings: 440830
OS Northings: 198092
OS Grid: SU408980
Mapcode National: GBR 6X1.Q3H
Mapcode Global: VHC0P.H1HB
Entry Name: The Old School House and Attached School and Walls
Listing Date: 6 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368534
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249591
Location: Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Kingston Bagpuize with Southmo
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
KINGSTON BAGPUIZE WITH SOUTHMOOR ABINGDON ROAD
SU4098 (West side)
11/93 The Old School House and
attached school and walls
Schoolhouse, now house. Mid C18; remodelled and school added c.1840. Dressed and
coursed limestone rubble; gabled stone slate roof; symmetrical brick end stacks.
Central-staircase plan. 2 storeys and attic; symmetrical 5-window range.
Segmental brick arch with keystone over late C19 plank door. Re-used C17
two-light stone-mullioned chamfered windows on ground floor: first-floor gauged
brick flat arches over mid C19 two-light windows. Flushed brick storey band and
dentilled brick eaves. gabled roof dormers with C19 two-light casements.
Interior: C19 staircase and fireplace, cased beams. Subsidiary features: school
to rear left of similar materials built c.1840: one storey. 5-window range:
segmental brick arches over 2 plank doors and 2-light stone-mullioned
cavetto-moulded windows. Walls carried from rear of school to front, with iron
gate to entrance. History: the C17 windows were probably taken from the Old
Manor near Kingston House (q.v.). The school was established by John Blandy in
1736 and accommodated 14 local boys (increased to 20 in 1790) "to be taught the
art of navigation and other rules in the mathematics".
(Berkshire Record Office, Reading, Report of the Charity Commissioners,
Listing NGR: SU4083098092
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings