History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fyfield and Tubney, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6873 / 51°41'14"N

Longitude: -1.3889 / 1°23'20"W

OS Eastings: 442341

OS Northings: 198904

OS Grid: SU423989

Mapcode National: GBR 7YD.3PS

Mapcode Global: VHC0H.WV3D

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 9 February 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368546

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249558

Location: Fyfield and Tubney, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Fyfield and Tubney

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Fyfield with Tubney

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Kingston Bagpuze

Listing Text

FYFIELD AND TUBNEY FYFIELD
SU4298
12/60 Church of St, Nicholas
09/02/66

GV II*

Church. c.1200: early C14 chancel, C15 north aisle, west tower rebuilt in 1809
and after fire of 1893, when church was restored: south porch by J.C. Buckler,
1867-8. Uncoursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; gabled C20 tile roof.
Chancel and aisled nave with south transept and west tower. Decorated chancel
has hood moulds with anthropomorphic stops over 4-light reticulated east window
and 2-light windows in 2-bay side walls: pointed chamfered south doorway. North
aisle: blocked round-headed doorway of c.1200 has keel-moulded arch and
trumpet-scalloped capitals (shafts have gone); doorway flanked by much restored
early C16 three-light window and a C15 two-light ogee-headed window: 3-light
Perpendicular windows in end walls. South wall of nave rebuilt in mid C19, with
2-light window and 3-light south transept window. Steeply pitched gabled south
porch by Buckler has painted moulded doorway flanked by tall pinnacles; similar
doorway to south door within, and closely-set buttresses with gables to left
side wall. West tower has original lower stage with C15 four-centred doorway to
double-leaf plank doors: octagonal upper stages built in 1809 and then after
1893, with trefoil-headed lancets, reset C15 cinquefoil-headed light and
pyramidal roof of 1893, Interior: late C19 benches, pulpit and lectern installed
during restoration following fire of 1893. Much restored early C14 sedilia with
late C19 shafts. Finely-carved piscina set in Decorated canopy: C15 credence
table set on octagonal shaft with trefoiled blind panels. Reredos has restored
vine-leaf cornice broken by octagonal C15 tabernacle. Monument in north wall of
chancel to Lady Klatherine Gordon, the White Rose of Scotland and widow of Perkin
Warbeck, d.1527: elaborately-carved tomb chest set within arched recess, all
much restored after 1893. Late C19 chancel roof: early C14 cornice with
ballflower ornament. South transept: 3 reset late C17 and early C18
finely-carved wall monuments, and C18 ledger stones. Incised marble wall tablet
to George Dale, the Oxford anatomist, d.1625, shows demi-figure of Dale pointing
at a skull. Nave has late C19 roof: round-headed west door of c,1200 has
keel-moulded arch over engaged columns with stiff-leaf capitals. C15 four-bay
arcade with octagonal shafts to north aisle, which has late C19 font set on C15
octagonal shaft. North chapel has wall tablet with broken segmental pediment to
Thomas White, d.1664 and C17 and C18 ledger stones, some to the White family.
C17 heraldic achievement, C15 niche and corbel; monument to Sir John Golafre,
d.1442, has reclining effigy of Sir John laid on chest tomb with brattished
cornice and heraldic shields: open arches with cusped spandrels expose gruesome
cadaver, lying on a shroud tied at the head and pulled back at sides to reveal
the corpse. Sir John willed that a chantry priest be employed in his chapel, and
be accommodated with 5 almsmen in a newly erected building, now the White Hart
Inn (q.v.). Extra information: a drawing of 1809 depicts a 3-storey tower with
Decorated windows: accounts show that it was partly demolished and rebuilt in
that year, and also after a fire damaged the church in 1893.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.145; B.F.L. Clarke and H.ti.Colvin, The
Rebuilding and Repair of Berkshire Churches during the Seventeenth, Eighteenth
and Nineteenth Centuries, Berkshire Archaeological Journal, Vol.55 (1965-7),
p.77; National Monuments Record).


Listing NGR: SU4234198904

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.