History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Alms Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Lyford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.646 / 51°38'45"N

Longitude: -1.4347 / 1°26'4"W

OS Eastings: 439213

OS Northings: 194281

OS Grid: SU392942

Mapcode National: GBR 6XD.Q48

Mapcode Global: VHC0P.2WXL

Entry Name: The Alms Court

Listing Date: 6 August 1952

Last Amended: 6 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368559

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249625

Location: Lyford, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Lyford

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Lyford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Kingston Bagpuze

Listing Text

7/127 The Alms Court, Nos.l-7
06/08/52 (consecutive)
(Formerly listed as
Ashcombe Almshouses

- II

Almshouses. Mid/late C18. Flemish bond brick with flared headers: rear and outer
walls of limestone rubble. Gabled roof of C20 tiles and old tiles to side wings;
brick ridge stacks. Courtyard plan open to front. One storey and attic; 4-window
front range. Gabled projecting central 2 bays with mid C19 porch and door
flanked by segmental-arched lead-latticed tall single lights: outer bays have
segmental arches over 2-light leaded casement and adjoining plank door, and
2-light dormer casements above. Side wings each of 12-window range. Fronts of
wings facing yard have similar doors, 2-light leaded casements and dormer
casements. Dentilled brick eaves. Interior not inspected. The almshouses were
founded in 1611 by Oliver Ashcombe, although the present building dates from
about 1760-70.
(V.M. Howse, Lyford: A Parish Record, pp.39-41)

Listing NGR: SU3921394281

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.