History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hyde Farmouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Marcham, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6685 / 51°40'6"N

Longitude: -1.3367 / 1°20'12"W

OS Eastings: 445967

OS Northings: 196838

OS Grid: SU459968

Mapcode National: GBR 7YN.BW6

Mapcode Global: VHCY5.SB69

Entry Name: Hyde Farmouse

Listing Date: 12 February 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368562

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249637

Location: Marcham, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Marcham

Built-Up Area: Marcham

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Marcham with Garford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Abingdon

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/12/2012


SU4596
1695-0/18/139
12/02/87


MARCHAM
ABINGDON ROAD
(North side)
Hyde Farmhouse


II*


Farmhouse. Circa late C13 or early C14; remodelled circa late Middle Ages, remodelled and extended
circ mid C16 and mid C17. Limestone rubble. Stone tile roof, the higher courses plain tiles, hipped
left end, gabled at the end of rear wing. Stone axial and gable end stacks with brick shafts.
PLAN: The original Medieval house comprised a long open hall of 3 bays seperated from a service bay
at the south end, probably also open to the roof. Later in the Middle Ages the high, north, end bay
of the hall was partitioned from the remainder of the hall, while remaining open to the roof; the north
bay was subsequently floored, probably before the centre bay of the hall was floored in circa mid C16,
leaving the remaining south bay of the hall open as a smoke bay, into which a chimney was inserted
in circa 1600, creating a cross-passage on its lower, south, side. The south, service bay was floored
probably in the C17. There is a wing on the east side of the north bay, the first part of which is circa
mid C16 and timber-framed with one room and a cross-passage adjacent to the main range; this was
extended in 1652 by John Prince, who built a parlour with a chamber above. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys,
asymmetrical 4-window west front. Various 3 and 4-light C17 and C18 casement windows with leaded
panes, the 5-light hall window to the left of centre and the 3-light window above breaking the eaves have
ovolo-moulded mullions and frames. Doorway to right of centre with circa late Medieval chamfered
and shouldered wooden frame with chambered head and later plank door. At rear, east, outshuts in angle
with wing on right. The wing is timber-framed with brick infill and extended in stone rubble with
ovolo-moulded wooden mullion windows with leaded panes, first floor window on south side replaced
in C20, its 1556 dated internal cill removed. INTERIOR:Little altered and retaining many C17 and
earlier features. C17 plank doors, panelled cupboard doors and stone flag floors. Cross-passage has
unchamfered joists and stud partition to service side. Service room to right has roughly chamfered
cross-beam with diagonal stops and unchamferedjoists. Hall has high ceiling with chamfered cross-beam
and broad joists all with hollow step stops and large fireplace with lightly chamfered cambered timber
lintel, oven and gun-rack above. Inner, north, room has low ceiling with roughly chamfered axial beam
without stops and unchamfered joists. Parlour in rear wing has chamfered axial beam with bar stops,
wide fireplace with low chamfered lintel and plasterwork above, dated 1652 and with initials P/IM.
Chamber above has similar plasterwork fireplace overmantel, exposed timber-framing of earlier bay of
wing, which has jowled storey-posts and cambered tie-beam. Inner room chamber has exposed
smoke-blackening above tie-beam in partition. Chamber over cross-passage has small fireplace with
cambered lintel and staircase rising from hall with splat balusters. The Medieval 4-bay roof survives
largely intact; the 2 north trusses of the long 3-bay open hall have pairs of parallel rafters, the inner
rafters rising to a collar, the outer rising to the ridge, which is square-set on a small yoke; 2 tiers of
purlins, the upper one trenched, the lower trapped between the parallel rafters; wind-braces from the
inner rafter to the upper purlin. Some of the original common rafters survive. The 3 north bays are
smoke-blackened and the lower end, south, truss is an open timber-framed partition, [sooted on both
sides], with studding, clasped purlins and similar yoke and ridge. The principals ofthe south end truss
survive in the gable-end wall. The roof of the north bay has been partly rebuilt with a hip. Rear wing
has clasped-purlin roof SOURCE: Curde,C.R.J., Medieval Houses; Oxoniensia,LVII [1992], pp
167-171.

Listing NGR: SU4596796838

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.