History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Archangel House and Rear Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Cumnor, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7344 / 51°44'3"N

Longitude: -1.3325 / 1°19'56"W

OS Eastings: 446195

OS Northings: 204174

OS Grid: SP461041

Mapcode National: GBR 7XW.CXN

Mapcode Global: VHCXS.VNFS

Entry Name: Archangel House and Rear Wall

Listing Date: 9 February 1966

Last Amended: 24 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368589

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249680

Location: Cumnor, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX2

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Cumnor

Built-Up Area: Cumnor

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Cumnor

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Eynsham

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/08/2012


SP4605
13/6
09/02/66


CUMNOR
ABINGDON ROAD
(North side)
Archangel House


(Formerly listed as The Vicarage, The Vicarage Flat and rear wall)


GV
II


House, now vicarage. Early/mid C16: cross-wing to right and extended to left in
early C17: late C18/early C19 alterations and rear addition of c.1840. Coursed
limestone rubble; gabled concrete tile roof; large stone ridge stack with brick
flue; cross wing has rear end stack of stone finished in brick. 3-unit plan with
right cross wing. 2 storeys; 4-window range. Timber lintel over C20 door
adjoining cross wing. Plain stone architraves to early Cl9 eight-pane sash, two
6-pane sashes, and 6-pane sash in gabled half-dormer above and to left of door;
left bay has timber lintels over late C18 tripartite sashes; front gable of
cross wing has flat rendered arches to 8-pane sash above C19 two-light
casements. C17/early C18 extension to rear of cross wing of similar materials
and of one storey and attic; 2-window range. 2-storey brick range to rear of
c.1840. Interior: late C18 panelled doors and shutters. Chamfered beams in 2
rooms to left, of large stack and panelled room. Early C19 straight-flight
stairs in large hall left of cross wing: room above hall has partially-exposed
queen-post truss to right of a hollow-chamfered arch-braced collar-truss.
Subsidiary features: Tall C18 wall extends from rear left wall to enclose rear
garden approx. 100 x 30n.: of coursed limestone rubble, and chequer brick inner
face.


Listing NGR: SP4619504174

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.