History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Radley, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6919 / 51°41'30"N

Longitude: -1.2515 / 1°15'5"W

OS Eastings: 451837

OS Northings: 199505

OS Grid: SU518995

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZQ.VVD

Mapcode Global: VHCY1.8Q8V

Entry Name: Chapel

Listing Date: 24 June 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368608

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249786

Location: Radley, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Radley

Built-Up Area: Radley

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Radley

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Abingdon

Listing Text

RADLEY ST. PETER'S COLLEGE
SU59NW
9/110 Chapel
GV II*
Chapel. 1893-4 by Sir T.G. Jackson: C20 vestries. Banded English bond, red and
orange brick, with limestone ashlar dressings; gabled old tile roof. Late Gothic
Revival style. Perpendicular-style east window: terracotta foiled and
Perpendicular blind tracery above and below: flanking shafts and finial of
crocketed ogee arch are continued as crocketed pinnacles: east gable also has
crenellated parapet of brick and stone chequer work. String course links offset
corner buttresses and wall buttresses of 6-bay side walls: depressed ogee-arches
over 4-light windows with elaborately-traceried heads. Similar west gable wall
and window: very fine French Gothic-style bell turret. Entry through fine
doorway in west bay via cloister walk to north (q.v.). Interior: magnificent C15
Flemish carved and gilded wood altarpiece brought to St. Peter's College by its
founder, Canon Sewell, in 1847. Terracotta trefoiled blind arches over sedilia.
Many fittings, including benches, with cusped back-panels, and organ loft, were
brought to the old chapel from Cologne in 1847. Cusped tie-beam roof. Monuments:
Boer an memorial with figures of St. George and the Dragon: Elizabethan-style
aedicule memorial to fallen of First World War. Stained glass: east window by
Burlison and Gryls. The Flemish altarpiece is the most important item in the
chapel and designing around it entailed the high position of the east window.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.197; T.D. Raikes, Fifty Years of St. Peter's
College, 1897, pp.181-7, 11-12; Patrick Drysdale, Radley, 1985, p.16).


Listing NGR: SU5183799505

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.