History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Almshouse Approximately 40 Metres West of Church of Saint Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Blewbury, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5696 / 51°34'10"N

Longitude: -1.2356 / 1°14'8"W

OS Eastings: 453075

OS Northings: 185909

OS Grid: SU530859

Mapcode National: GBR 919.DG1

Mapcode Global: VHCYM.JTN4

Entry Name: Almshouse Approximately 40 Metres West of Church of Saint Michael

Listing Date: 16 February 1979

Last Amended: 5 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368626

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249886

Location: Blewbury, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX11

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Blewbury

Built-Up Area: Blewbury

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Blewbury

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Blewbury

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/08/2012


SU5385
16/25
16/02/79


BLEWBURY
CHURCH ROAD
(North-east side)
Almshouse approx. 40m W of Church of Saint Michael


(Formerly listed as: Almshouse approx. 40m SW of the parish Church, Church Street)


GV II

Almshouse. Dated 1837 to inscription. Red brick with random flared bricks in
Flemish bond; old plain-tile roof; brick end stack to right. 2-storey, 2-window
range. C20 plank double-leaf outer door to C2O gabled porch. Plank inner door.
C20 two-light casement to right with segmental brick head C20 two-light
casement to first floor right. C20 single-light casement to first floor left.
Inscribed stone panel to first floor centre reads "The ground on which this
house is erected and the garden adjoining was kindly given for (the use?) of
Bacon's Charity by John Shawe Philips of Culham, Oxon in the year 1837",
Interior not inspected. Included for group value.


Listing NGR: SU5307585909

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.