History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Geering's Almshouses and Attached Walls and Gate

A Grade II* Listed Building in Harwell, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5992 / 51°35'57"N

Longitude: -1.2916 / 1°17'29"W

OS Eastings: 449163

OS Northings: 189167

OS Grid: SU491891

Mapcode National: GBR 7ZH.Q88

Mapcode Global: VHCYL.K2KC

Entry Name: Geering's Almshouses and Attached Walls and Gate

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 5 May 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368639

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249975

Location: Harwell, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX11

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Harwell

Built-Up Area: Harwell

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Steventon

Listing Text

SU4969 HARWELL HIGH STREET
9/112 (East side)
25/10/51 Geering's Almshouses, and
attached walls and gate
(Formerly listed as Geering's
Almshouses)

GV II*

Almshouses. c.1723. Brick plinth; grey brick with red brick dressings; G21
plain-tile roof; brick ridge stacks to left and right of centre, end stacks in
end of cross-wings. U-shaped plan. Baroque style. Single-storey, 3-bay central
range with single-bay cross-wings to left and right. Round brick arches to
centre 3 bays with stone keystones and impost blocks. Through passage to centre,
Plank doors to inner face of arcade. 16-pane unburned sashes to courtyard sides
of cross-wings with segmental brick heads. Two 12-pane unhorned sashes with
segmental brick heads to each end of cross-wings. Flat brick band to base of
parapet. Panelled, shaped parapet having shaped gables to cross-wings and
concave sweeps to central flat-topped bay. Shaped stone panel, with open
pediment to top, to parapet of centre bay, having oval inscribed panel reading
"The gift of Frances Geering, deceased, late wife of William Geering, gent, and
one of the daughters of Edward Gennings, Esq,, late of this place, A.D. 1715",
Interiors not inspected. Brick walls and Cl9 cast-iron gate close front
courtyard. History: Frances Geering (nee Jennings) established a trust fund in
1715 for disposal during her life tine or by her will. Her will, of 1723,
directed the purchase of a house or land for tile building of almshouses for 6
poor widows.
(Harwell, Village for a Thousand Years, Pub. Harwell P.C. 1985, p31)


Listing NGR: SU4916389167

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.