This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6008 / 51°36'2"N
Longitude: -1.2911 / 1°17'28"W
OS Eastings: 449192
OS Northings: 189339
OS Grid: SU491893
Mapcode National: GBR 7ZH.QC0
Mapcode Global: VHCYL.K1S5
Entry Name: Cherry Barn and Attached Outbuildings, Approximately 5 Metres East of Bayllols Manor
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 5 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368642
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249982
Location: Harwell, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX11
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Harwell
Built-Up Area: Harwell
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 31/08/2012
Cherry Barn and attached outbuildings, approx. 5m E of Bayllols Manor
(Formerly listed as Cherry Barn and attached outbuildings, approx. 5m E of King's Manor)
(Formerly listed as Middle Farmhouse and Barn)
Barn, part probably originally of different use; with attached outbuildings.
2-bay, cruck range of c.l350, with 2-bays of mid Cl5 outbuilding at end of
probably C17 two-bay barn attached at right-angles to cruck range; cruck range
has three-bay mid outbuilding to end. Stone coursed rubble plinth; large
timber-framing with weatherboarding thatch roof, half hipped to left end, with
old plain-tile area at junction of ranges. Now 4-bay barn with outbuilding
cross-range, C20 alterations to gabled midstrey to right on road side. C20
double sliding doors to cross-range. Interior: double Queen-post roofs to 4-bay
barn range and to C17 outbuilding, with windbraces. Full crucks to cruck range
with chamfered braces and blades. History; the farmstead was owned by the
Bayllol (or Baillol) family from 1200-1350. The Brounz family owned it from
c.1350-1484. The farmstead was bought by William Waynflete, Bishop of Winchester
in 1484, The cruck range was possibly built as a hall for retainers or lesser
visitors. The mid-C15 outbuilding, now part of the barn, was possibly used for
brewing or malting.
(Crucks in the West Berkshire and Oxford Region, by J. Fletcher in 0xoniensia,
Vol 33; 1968, p71-88; Three Medieval Farmhouses in Harwell, by J. Fletcher in
Berkshire Archaeological Journal, Vol 62, 1955-6, p45-69)
Listing NGR: SU4919289339
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings