History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Blaise

A Grade II* Listed Building in Milton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6285 / 51°37'42"N

Longitude: -1.3002 / 1°18'0"W

OS Eastings: 448536

OS Northings: 192417

OS Grid: SU485924

Mapcode National: GBR 7Z3.VGM

Mapcode Global: VHCYD.FB0F

Entry Name: Church of St Blaise

Listing Date: 9 February 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368648

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250018

Location: Milton, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Milton

Built-Up Area: Didcot

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Milton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Steventon

Listing Text

HILTON HIGH STREET
SU4892 (West side)
8/155 Church of Saint Blaise
09/02/66
GV II*

Church. C14 west tower and south porch; nave, north aisle, and chancel c.1849 by
Henry Woodyer. Coursed stone rubble to tower; squared coursed stone to nave,
aisle, and chancel; C19 plain-tile roof; roof of tower not visible, 4-bay nave
and north aisle, 2-bay chancel and west tower. Gothic Revival style. C19 plank
door to 2 centre arched doorway to left of nave, with stone-vaulted stone porch.
Cl9 Perpendicular tracery windows to nave, aisle, and chancel. Tower: 2-light
plate tracery louvred openings to each side of bell chamber stage. Battlemented
parapet. Interior; arch-braced collar truss roofs to chancel, north aisle, and
part of nave. Plaster vault to rest of nave. C19 reredos, altar, altar rail and
painted inscriptions to chancel. C19 stone pulpit with C20 alterations to right
of nave, Moved C19 stone font to north aisle, History: Bryant Barrett of Milton
Manor House (q.v.) built his family vault onto the Church in 1769. Bishop
Challoner was buried here in 1791, until his remains were removed in 1947 to
Westminster Cathedral.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire: 1975, p178; Milton Manor, Oxfordshire by S.
Mockler, undated)


Listing NGR: SU4853692417

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.