History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Temple of Flora Approximately 160 Metres North East of Nuneham House

A Grade II Listed Building in Nuneham Courtenay, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6802 / 51°40'48"N

Longitude: -1.2173 / 1°13'2"W

OS Eastings: 454213

OS Northings: 198221

OS Grid: SU542982

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZY.R19

Mapcode Global: VHCY7.V1BB

Entry Name: Temple of Flora Approximately 160 Metres North East of Nuneham House

Listing Date: 19 August 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368716

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248324

Location: Nuneham Courtenay, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Nuneham Courtenay

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Marsh Baldon with Toot Baldon and Nuneham Courtenay

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Clifton Hampden

Listing Text

NUNEHAM COURTENAY NUNEHAM PARK
SU5498
12/87 Temple of Flora approx. 160m.
NE of Nuneham House

GV II

Garden temple. c.1771. Rendered brick with wooden columns and pediment.
Rectangular plan. Greek-Doric style. Open front forms a portico with 2 fluted
columns in antis supporting a triglyph frieze and a triangular pediment with
mutules. Sides and rear are plain. Interior: rear wall has an oval relief of
Flora above a moulded panel containing lines from Ariosto's "Orlando Furioso".
The temple formed the architectural focus of the innovatory flower garden
designed in 1771 by the Reverend William Masons author of "The English Flower
Garden", for Lord Nuneham, afterwards the 2nd Earl Harcourt. The building
resembles illustrations in James Stuart's "The Antiqities of Athens" and may
have been designed by Stuart who was consulted over Nuneham House (q.v.) and All
Saints' Church (q.v.).
Nunaham Park is included in the HBMC County Register of Gardens at Grade I;
V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.234; W. Batey: "Nuneham Courtenay", 1970, p.25; G.
Worsley: "Nuneham Park Revisited II", Country Life, Vol.177, p,66).


Listing NGR: SU5421398221

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.