This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7518 / 51°45'6"N
Longitude: -0.9845 / 0°59'4"W
OS Eastings: 470196
OS Northings: 206388
OS Grid: SP701063
Mapcode National: GBR B0T.3X4
Mapcode Global: VHDVF.W7DD
Entry Name: The Prebenbdal
Listing Date: 24 April 1951
Last Amended: 16 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368778
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248574
Location: Thame, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Thame
Built-Up Area: Thame
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Thame St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
THAME PRIEST END
SP7006SW (North-west side)
8/143 The Prebendal
24/04/51 (Formerly listed as Prebendal
(comprising House, Chapel and
block to west of Chapel with
Prebendal, now house. C13, restored 1836 by H.B. Hodgson for Charles Stone,
altered early and mid C20. Uncoursed stone rubble; old plain-tile complex roof;
stone chimney stacks. Single-ended hall house plan, with later alterations.
2-storey, 4-bay range. 2-storey gabled porch to right of centre. 4-centred
archway with square hood. Re-used C13 doorway inside porch has pointed arch with
hollow chamfer and roll moulding. C19 ribbed and studded door. Two 2-light stone
mullion and transom hall windows with cusp-topped lights and hood-moulds to
left. Stone buttress to left of centre. 3-light stone mullion window to ground
floor right. 2-light stone mullion window with hood mould to first floor right.
2-light stone mullion window with hood mould to first floor of porch. Stone
mullion windows to most other openings, some being reset. Interior: C20 stone
spiral staircase to rear. Hall drawing room to left has C15 wood ceiling,
brought from house in Essex, with beams carved with vine trails. Late C15 French
stone fireplace has stone hood on figure corbels. C15 stone hooded fireplace to
entrance hall. History: a prebend was established c.1140 by the Bishop of
Lincoln. In 1661 it was recorded as being ruinous. Site originally moated, now
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1979, p.812-4).
Listing NGR: SP7020906389
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings