This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5906 / 51°35'26"N
Longitude: -1.1897 / 1°11'22"W
OS Eastings: 456233
OS Northings: 188284
OS Grid: SU562882
Mapcode National: GBR 915.6AL
Mapcode Global: VHCYN.B8FZ
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 9 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368808
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248757
Location: South Moreton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX11
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: South Moreton
Built-Up Area: South Moreton
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
SOUTH MORETON PAPER HILL LANE
SU5688 (East side)
17/144 Manor House
Manor house. Probably late C14, with C16, and C18 alterations. Cruck-framed; red
brick with random grey headers to right; render on timber-framing with brick
infill to centre; red brick to ground floor left; large timber-framing with
angle braces to first floor left; brick infill; recent tile-hanging to
cross-gable to left; old plain-tile roof; various brick stacks. Double-ended
hall-house. Single storey and attic; 3-window range to centre; 2-storey,
one-window cross-wing to right, double-height cross-wing to left. C20 door to
left of centre with Gothic glazing bars. Two 4-light leaded casements to centre.
3 raking half-dormers to centre. 3-light wood-mullioned and transomed window of
3 rows to cross-wing to left. Double-leaf French window to left return of right
cross-wing. 16-pane unhorned sash to first floor end of right cross-wing. Rear:
large timber-framing to left; painted brick infill to ground floor; rendered
infill to first floor; painted brick with some timber-framing. C16
wood-mullioned and transomed bay window with side lights to first floor left.
Irregular fenestration of casements and raking dormers. Right return; red brick
with random grey headers in Flemish bond to left; flint base to right; render to
right, probably on timber-framing. 2-storey, 4-window range. Sash door to
lean-to roofed porch to centre. Irregular fenestration of 16-pane unhorned
sashes except tripartite sash with glazing bars to ground floor right. C20
stairs. King-post roof to left cross-wing with moulded king-post. Jointed cruck
construction to centre with wind braces. Open fireplaces to most rooms.
Subsidiary bay of large timber-frame to left return with queen-post roof.
History: formerly Sandervilie Manor House, held by de Sanderville family from
1199 to 1891. The site is moated.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.499-500).
Listing NGR: SU5623388284
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings