History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clifton Hampden Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Clifton Hampden, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6564 / 51°39'23"N

Longitude: -1.2089 / 1°12'31"W

OS Eastings: 454822

OS Northings: 195589

OS Grid: SU548955

Mapcode National: GBR 90C.161

Mapcode Global: VHCY8.0M8J

Entry Name: Clifton Hampden Manor

Listing Date: 16 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368813

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248789

Location: Clifton Hampden, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX14

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Clifton Hampden

Built-Up Area: Clifton Hampden

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Clifton Hampden

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Clifton Hampden

Listing Text

CLIFTON HAMPDEN ABINGDON ROAD
SU5495 (South side)
11/4 Clifton Hampden Manor

GV II

Parsonage, now manor house. c.1843-6 by Sir Gilbert Scott for Henry Hucks Gibbs
extended, probably by Charles Buckeridge, in 1844-5 for the Revd. J.L. Gibbs;
additions, c.1903, by Wodde and Briyarley. Squared coursed stone with ashlar
stone dressings; complex old plain-tile roof; various brick stacks. Complex
plan. Gothic Revival style. 2-storey, 7-window range. C19 panelled door to
recessed porch to centre. Complex fenestration, mostly of stone mullion and
transom windows. Interior: C19 open well staircase. C19 stone fireplaces to most
ground and first floor rooms, some brought in in late C20. History: built at the
expense of Henry Hucks Gibbs (later first Lord Aldenham) who also restored the
church (q.v.).
(V.C.H.; Oxfordshire. Vol.7, 1962, p.20).


Listing NGR: SU5482295589

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.