History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Moreton House

A Grade II Listed Building in North Moreton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6018 / 51°36'6"N

Longitude: -1.1901 / 1°11'24"W

OS Eastings: 456186

OS Northings: 189530

OS Grid: SU561895

Mapcode National: GBR 90Y.KX5

Mapcode Global: VHCYG.BZ5X

Entry Name: North Moreton House

Listing Date: 20 June 1972

Last Amended: 4 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368823

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248731

Location: North Moreton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX11

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: North Moreton

Built-Up Area: North Moreton

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Dorchester on thames

Listing Text

NORTH MORETON CHURCH STREET
SU5689 (South side)
13/118 North Moreton House
20/06/72 (Formerly listed as North
Moreton House (Formerly
Vicarage))

GV II

House. Early C16, restored by G.E. Street c.1858. Red brick base; large
timber-framing; brick infill; complex old plain-tile roof; various brick stacks.
Complex plan. 2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. C19 plank door to centre with
wrought iron hinges. Irregular fenestration, mostly of C19 casements and bay
windows. Straight-flight C19 staircase with shaped wood balustrade. All rooms
have C19 four-panel doors with ornamental wood surrounds. Dining room to left
has deeply moulded spine beam and massive joists; C19 fireplace; C19 bay window
with window seats. Kitchen to left rear: chamfered spine beam; C19 cast iron
bread oven. Study and sitting room to right both have C19 fireplaces. C19
shutters to sitting room French windows with wrought-iron hinges. C16 stone
fireplace with Tudor arch and moulded stone surround to first floor left. C19
arch-braced roofs to bedrooms to rear. Formerly Rectory Farm, then vicarage.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.492).


Listing NGR: SU5618689530

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.