This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6684 / 51°40'6"N
Longitude: -0.9955 / 0°59'43"W
OS Eastings: 469568
OS Northings: 197104
OS Grid: SU695971
Mapcode National: GBR B1S.758
Mapcode Global: VHDVT.PBLB
Entry Name: Model Farm, Covered Yards and Flanking Buildings Approximately 40 Metres South of Farmhouse
Listing Date: 3 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368850
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248989
Location: Shirburn, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX49
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Shirburn
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Pyrton and Shirburn
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
4/143 Model Farm, covered yards and
flanking buildings approx.
40m. S of farmhouse
Covered yards, stables and feeding boxes. Datestone 1856, by William Wilkinson
for the Earl of Macclesfield. Flemish bond brick; gabled corrugated iron roof
flanked by gabled Welsh slate roofs. Central covered yards flanked by 2
looseboxes and stables with harness room on left, and 2 roothouses opening to
feeding stalls, boxes and piggery on right. One storey; triple-gabled front.
Gauged brick round-arch with moulded imposts to high central entry. Gauged brick
flat-arch over mid C19 sliding door to roothouse in right bay; similar arches
over one and 2-light casements in outer bays. Similar mid C19 tall rear entrance
and sliding doors to stables and pig house in left range. Interior: central
12-bay covered yard has mid C19 water pump and cast-iron roof trusses. Left
range has harness room with pegs flanked by stables for 7 working horses each.
An observer remarked in 1856 the the "covered yards ...... afford dry and
healthy accommodation for cattle, and also receptacles for the manure which is
thrown into them for the stables, piggeries, and feeding stalls adjoining. The
manure is allowed to accumulate in then without exposure to the sun and rain
until it is required to be carted on the land." This is an early example of such
a building and forms part of the original Home Farm by Wilkinson, who designed
similar complexes at Longeat, Wiltshire, and Kirtlington, north of Oxford. It
was highly praised by contemporaries.
(Illustrated London News, December 12, 1857, pp. 584-5).
Listing NGR: SU6956897104
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings