History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hydraulics Research Limited

A Grade II Listed Building in Crowmarsh, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6065 / 51°36'23"N

Longitude: -1.1131 / 1°6'47"W

OS Eastings: 461516

OS Northings: 190107

OS Grid: SU615901

Mapcode National: GBR B2D.7D8

Mapcode Global: VHCYH.NWDC

Entry Name: Hydraulics Research Limited

Listing Date: 16 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368929

English Heritage Legacy ID: 247221

Location: Crowmarsh, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Crowmarsh

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Crowmarsh Gifford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Wallingford

Listing Text

CROWMARSH BENSON LANE
SU69SM (West side)
1/3 Crowmarsh Gifford
Hydraulics Research Limited

GV II

House, now offices. c.1850. Stone base; red brick with Bath stone dressings;
complex slate roof; various brick stacks. Complex plan. Elizabethan style. 2
storeys and attic; 5-window range. 1:3:l. 3-bay centre with one-bay cross-wings.
Stone arcaded glazed loggia with Doric pilasters. Central half-glazed double
door with round overlight. Cross window to right cross-wing. 3 cross windows to
centre first floor. 5-light stone mullion and transom window to right cross-wing
to left and right. Pierced ston e balustrade to centre roof. Shaped gables to
cross wings to left and right. Octagonal tower to right with ogee lead roof.
Rear; 2 storey and attic; 5-window range. 3 French doors to centre. 2 storey bay
window to left and right with stone mullion and transom windows to bath floors.
3 cross-windows to first floor centre. Pierced stone balustrade to centre roof
and to flat tops of hay windows. Central armorial bearing. Shaped gables to left
and right. 2 dormers to centre. 2-storey, 3-window wing to left with 5-window
arcade to ground floor. Interior: Double height hall with glazed leaded screen
to lobby. Decorative encaustic tile floor. Balcony to first floor with panelled
front in Jacobean style with cupid herms to uprights of panels. Ornate plaster
panelled ceiling with brackets to cove. Enquiry Room and Library (probably
former drawing rooms) both panelled in French Rococo style. Lecture room to left
(probably former dining room) panelled in Jacobean style in oak. Staircase to
right. Open well cantilever staircase with wrought and cast iron balustrade with
wood hand rail. Coffered ceiling with central hinged figure to oval panel.


Listing NGR: SU6151690107

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.