History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Watlington, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.645 / 51°38'42"N

Longitude: -1.0046 / 1°0'16"W

OS Eastings: 468972

OS Northings: 194491

OS Grid: SU689944

Mapcode National: GBR B1Y.YML

Mapcode Global: VHDVT.JXSB

Entry Name: Town Hall

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369012

English Heritage Legacy ID: 247656

Location: Watlington, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX49

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Watlington

Built-Up Area: Watlington (South Oxfordshire)

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Watlington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Cuxham

Listing Text

SU6894
6/185
18/07/63


WATLINGTON
HIGH STREET
(South side)
Town Hall


GV
II*


Town hall. Built 1665 for Thomas Stonor. Later C17/early C18 one-bay extension
to rear right. Random bond brick; old tile roof; brick stack. Original T-plan
now L-plan with short rear wing to right of front. Two storeys and attic. Left
gable wall has hood-mould over toothed round-arch on moulded imposts.
First-floor 3-light brick-mullioned ovolo-moulded window with round-arched
central light; second floor has 2-light brick-mullioned ovolo-moulded window.
Similar right gable wall, rear left gable wall with clock on blocked window and
2-storey left side wall. All ground-floor entrances have C20 iron gates; moulded
string course and stepped eaves course to original 1665 building. Gabled roof;
ridge stack; bell cupola with weathercock on hipped roof. Interior not
inspected: the first floor was used by the Watlington Free Grammar School, and
the partly-open ground floor as a market.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.830; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.IIIII,
p.212).


Listing NGR: SU6897294491

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.