History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Aston Upthorpe, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5715 / 51°34'17"N

Longitude: -1.2038 / 1°12'13"W

OS Eastings: 455280

OS Northings: 186143

OS Grid: SU552861

Mapcode National: GBR 91B.GGG

Mapcode Global: VHCYN.2RZP

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 14 June 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369068

English Heritage Legacy ID: 247941

Location: Aston Upthorpe, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX11

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Aston Upthorpe

Built-Up Area: Aston Tirrold

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Aston Tirrold

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Blewbury

Listing Text

ASTON UPTHORPE THORPE STREET
SU5586 (West side)
Church of All Saints
7/57
14/06/63
II*
GV

Church. C12, nave roof probably C14, early C17 north porch, chancel and vestry
of c.1859 by P.C. Hardwick, bell-turret with spirelet probably also by P.C.
Hardwick. Roughcast, probably on flint with stone dressings; flint with stone
banding and dressings to chancel; old plain-tile roof; wood bell-tower with
spirelet with lead covering. 4-bay nave with chancel. Open timber-framed porch
with crown-post old plain-tile gabled roof. Romanesque doorway with C19 plank
door. Lancet to left. Trefoil lancet to chancel. Triple lancet to end of
chancel. Rear: red brick to Romanesque blocked doorway, triple trefoil lancet to
right of nave. Vestry to right with paired lancet in 2-centred archway to
cross-gable. 2-light Perpendicular window to west end. Interior: 4-bay
arch-braced roof to nave. C19 arch-braced roof to chancel. C19 piscina to
chancel. Carved heads above nave doorways. Some re-used bench-ends to pews.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.74; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923,
p.288-289).


Listing NGR: SU5528086143

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.