History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Birinus

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dorchester, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6413 / 51°38'28"N

Longitude: -1.1647 / 1°9'52"W

OS Eastings: 457900

OS Northings: 193936

OS Grid: SU579939

Mapcode National: GBR 90M.0C8

Mapcode Global: VHCYG.R0NM

Entry Name: Church of St Birinus

Listing Date: 14 May 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369090

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248060

Location: Dorchester, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Dorchester

Built-Up Area: Dorchester (South Oxfordshire)

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Dorchester

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Dorchester on thames

Listing Text

SU 5793 DORCHESTER BRIDGE END
(east side)

1192-0/8/31 Church of St Birinus

GV 14/5/96 II*

Roman Catholic Church. 1849 by William Wilkinson Wardell for John Davey of Overy .Coursed squared limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; stone-slate roof Nave, chancel, north vestry and south porch. Decorated style. The one-bay chancel has a 3-Iight traceried east window and cusped single lights in the side walls. The small 2-light side windows of the 3-bay nave have a variety of flowing tracery and all hoods have carved head stops. The porch, in the centre of the south side, has richly-moulded doorway below a canopied statue of the Virgin and Child. The west wall has cusped single lights flanking a large canopied standing figure of St Birinus supported by an angel corbel. The gable parapets bear apex crosses and, over the chancel arch, a tall bellcote with a traceried opening. Interior: the contemporary fittings of the chancel include a painted and gilded panelled ceiling with an elaborate cornice, plus elaborately-canopied recesses for piscina and font in the south wall. The traceried wooden chancel screen carries carved rood figures, and the cancel arch has rich foliage capitals and a surrounding painted inscription. The contemporary glass in the chancel windows is by Ward and Nixon and there is one later stained-glass window in the nave. A rich and complete interior. Wardell was a friend of Pugin and later designed the R C cathedrals of Melbourne and Sydney.

Listing NGR: SU5790093936

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.