History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church House

A Grade II Listed Building in Dorchester, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6441 / 51°38'38"N

Longitude: -1.1656 / 1°9'56"W

OS Eastings: 457835

OS Northings: 194256

OS Grid: SU578942

Mapcode National: GBR 90F.S5P

Mapcode Global: VHCY8.RX5Z

Entry Name: Church House

Listing Date: 14 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369104

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248146

Location: Dorchester, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Dorchester

Built-Up Area: Dorchester (South Oxfordshire)

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Dorchester

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Dorchester on thames

Listing Text

DORCHESTER QUEEN STREET
SU5794 (East side)
5/115 No.2 (Church House)

GV II

House. 1878, by Sir. G. Gilbert Scott. Colourwashed brick with tile hanging and
timber framing; old plain-tile roof with brick stacks. L-plan. 2 storeys.
2-window front facing High Street has timber framing above an intermediate band
of decorative tile hanging. The windows, which all project slightly, are
elaborately divided with mullions and transoms, and the ornamental timber
framing is carried down around the upper part of the larger ground floor window,
to left. The left end wall is similarly ornamented and includes a gable over the
ground-floor window. The entrance is within a hexagonal tower, at the rear of
this side, which has a tiled steeple roof. The roof has a gablet to left, and 2
highly ornamental stacks. Plainer wing projects to rear. Interior not inspected.
Built as part of The Missionary College. Included for group value.
(M. Airs: The Secular Buildings of Dorchester, Dorchester through the Ages,
1985).


Listing NGR: SU5783594256

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.