This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5376 / 51°32'15"N
Longitude: -0.9007 / 0°54'2"W
OS Eastings: 476342
OS Northings: 182644
OS Grid: SU763826
Mapcode National: GBR C4S.F46
Mapcode Global: VHDWG.BMQ5
Entry Name: Henley Bridge
Listing Date: 25 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369131
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246180
Location: Henley-on-Thames, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Henley-on-Thames
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Henley-on-Thames
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
The following should be added to the description:
The S. retaining wall of the E. abutment is built in part on the intact easternmost
span of the original C12 bridge. This has a segmental vault of shuttered flint
rubble masonry with Barnack stone dressings. The arch on the S. is of two square
orders; that on the North is probably similar but is partially obscured by a C18
blocking wall. This bridge was probably built by Henry II in the 1170s; in 1179 it
was recorded that he 'had bought land in Henley for making buildings' (K A Rodwell
(ed), Historic Towns in Oxfordshire (1974), 125). Also included in the statutory
list for the Parish of Remenham in the Wokingham District Council SU 78 SE 1/6.
1. HART STREET
SU 7582 1/32
1786. Designed by William Hayward who died in 1782, before work started.
Keystones of Thamesis and Isis carved by sculptress Mrs Damer, daughter
of General Conway of Park Place and cousin of Horace Walpole. Stone,
5 arches with rusticated treatment to base of interval piers. Dentil
cornice below balustrade which bears metal lamposts. Fluted plinths with
4 cherubs heads. 4 sided lamps. Metal plaque at each end of bridge instructing
drivers of "engines".
No 52 and the Angel Hotel form a group with St Marys Church, The Red Lion
Hotel and Stables and No 18 Thameside with Henley Bridge at this entrance
into the town.
Listing NGR: SU7634282644
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings