This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5412 / 51°32'28"N
Longitude: -0.9042 / 0°54'15"W
OS Eastings: 476088
OS Northings: 183046
OS Grid: SU760830
Mapcode National: GBR C4S.679
Mapcode Global: VHDWG.8JTC
Entry Name: Elm House ruperts Elm ruperts Guard
Listing Date: 25 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369157
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246308
Location: Henley-on-Thames, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Henley-on-Thames
Built-Up Area: Henley-on-Thames
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Henley-on-Thames
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
5355 NORTHFIELD END
No 4 (Elm House). Ruperts Elm.
SU 7683 8/110 25.1.51.
C17/C18. Originally the Bell Inn, important as a coaching inn in the C18 and early C19, later Royal Grammar School, now 3 houses. Stucco facade with wide central pediment, moulded bracketed wooden cornice carried across , and over, pediment. Old tiled roof and 4, symmetrically placed chimneys. 2 storeys and lunette in pediment. 16 windows with C17 frames and C18 sashes, glazing bars except to lower half of visible ground floor windows. Central 3 light window over portico with central light forming door to balcony, which has plain iron railing. Portico, late C18 with fluted pilasters: flanking door and outer Doric fluted pillars supporting entablature with flat bracketed cornice. The 3 doors are modern.
Listing NGR: SU7608883046
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings