This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7018 / 51°42'6"N
Longitude: -1.1048 / 1°6'17"W
OS Eastings: 461961
OS Northings: 200723
OS Grid: SP619007
Mapcode National: GBR B17.9HQ
Mapcode Global: VHCY3.SHT6
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369166
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246458
Location: Little Milton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Little Milton
Built-Up Area: Little Milton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Little Milton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 6100 LITTLE MILTON
13/70 Manor House
Manor house. C15 and C16, remodelled and extended late C18, storey added 1913.
Roughcast limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, and some timber-framing with
brick infill; plain-tile roof with brick stacks. Irregular courtyard plan.
South front formerly 2 now 3 storeys. Late C18 five-window range (1:3:1) with
central break and blind right bay, originally stuccoed, with ashlar quoins and
plain architraves. Arched doorway to left of central window with 6-panelled
and matching reveals, Adam-style fanlight and surrounding decoration, and
wooden porch with triangular broken pediment, flanking pilasters and fluted
Doric columns. Added floor has 3-light stone-mullioned windows and 3 gables
with slit vents flanked by parapets. Triple French windows inserted in left
bay under wooden verandah with Doric columns, and ornamental conservatory
added to right bay. Four C18 sashes survive (one full-length) plus moulded
stone cornice of original parapet. Interior: Entrance hall has Classical
fireplace and modillion cornice with guttae. Drawing-room to right (c.1800)
has internal square-headed stone-mullioned window with 2 trefoil-headed lights,
recessed spandrels and original ferramenta opening from C15 room in right bay
which retains mutilated beams, some moulded wooden cornice and 2 similar
windows in right gable wall. Bow-ended room in left bay has C16 four-centre
arched fireplace with stone jambs and timber bressumer. C16 west range is
timber-framed with jowled posts and a door with richly-moulded central plank.
In the north wing is a C15 three-bay rubble range with first-floor timber-
framing to courtyard, originally an open hall plus 2-storey bay, now with large
C16/17 stone stack and wide fireplace with cambered bressumer. Chamber has
floor with heavy flat joists and remains of 2-light stone-mullioned window.
Adjoining floor over passageway may be contemporary. 3-bay roof has
intermediate hip truss over chamber and arch-braced collar-truss over hall with
curved windbraces to single row of clasped purlins. Partitions are lost but
evidence survives in tie-beam mortices.
(V.C.H. Oxfordshire VII, p.121; Buildings of England, Oxfordshire, p.687-8)
Listing NGR: SP6196100723
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings