History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Vicarage at Ripon College

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cuddesdon and Denton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7238 / 51°43'25"N

Longitude: -1.1338 / 1°8'1"W

OS Eastings: 459928

OS Northings: 203140

OS Grid: SP599031

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZH.VKC

Mapcode Global: VHCXX.9XGX

Entry Name: Vicarage at Ripon College

Listing Date: 19 January 1973

Last Amended: 25 October 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369176

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246399

Location: Cuddesdon and Denton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Cuddesdon and Denton

Built-Up Area: Cuddesdon

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Cuddesdon

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Cuddesdon

Listing Text

SP 5903 CUDDESDON AND DENTON CUDDESDON
5/11 Vicarage at Ripon College.
19/01/73 (Formerly listed as The Old
Vicarage)
GV II*

Vicarage, now part of college. 1853-4, enlarged 1859-60. By G.E. Street.
Squared coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; plain-tile roof
with octagonal-shafted stone stacks. Complex plan based on two parallel
ranges. Gothic style. 2 storeys. Entrance front has timber lean-to pore
over central arched doorway with a gabled 2-light mullioned window above.
To right, two 2-light windows with dividing stone colonettes and at first
floor a 3-light mullion and transom window below a large gable. The gable
wall to left has an off-centre triplet of arched windows: lancets flanking
a 3-light traceried window surmounted by a gablet and cross. To right are
service ranges. The rear has a central projecting gable with a 4-light
mullion and transom window below a canted recessed bay window. Interior:
Reported as. having a Gothic fireplace and a wooden screen pierced with
quatrefoils. Not inspected. Formerly the house of the Principal of Cuddesdon
(now Ripon) Theological College who is also Vicar of Cuddesdon.
(Buildings of England, Oxfordshire, p.564)


Listing NGR: SP5992803140

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.