History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Milton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.702 / 51°42'7"N

Longitude: -1.1074 / 1°6'26"W

OS Eastings: 461783

OS Northings: 200743

OS Grid: SP617007

Mapcode National: GBR B17.8VL

Mapcode Global: VHCY3.RHF2

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369190

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246468

Location: Little Milton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Little Milton

Built-Up Area: Little Milton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Little Milton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Great Milton

Listing Text

SP 6100 LITTLE MILTON CHURCH HILL
(West side)
13/76 Church of St James
18/07/63
- II

Church. 1844, tower 1861. By John Hayward of Exeter. Coursed squared
limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; concrete plain-tile roof. 4-bay
aisleless nave with short chancel, west tower, south porch and vestry to north
of chancel. Late C14 style. East and west windows are of 3 traceried lights,
the rest of 2 except for a cinquefoil lancet in the chancel south wall. Bays
are defined by buttresses and the windows have hood-moulds with carved heads,
the east window with "I H S" on shields in panels beneath the lights. West
tower of 3 unequal stages, the top stage with pairs of traceried 2-light
openings having the central pier rising from gables over the clock faces;
crenellated parapet with panelled bases for missing corner pinnacles over
string-course with carved heads, foliage and winged gargoyles at angles.
Interior: Chancel and tower arches have continuous mouldings; roofs are
panelled, springing from carved corbels. The bowl of a medieval piscina is
re-used in the chancel. Fittings are of oak and include an elaborate reredos
of 1901 by Hems of Exeter. Glass in east window and 2 eastern nave windows is
of 1854 by Willement; glass in west window and window to west of porch is of
1869 by Heaton, 8utler and Bayne.
(V.C.H. Oxfordshire VII; Buildings of England, Oxfordshire, p.687)


Listing NGR: SP6178200744

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.