History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Denton House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cuddesdon and Denton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7186 / 51°43'6"N

Longitude: -1.1423 / 1°8'32"W

OS Eastings: 459346

OS Northings: 202553

OS Grid: SP593025

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZP.615

Mapcode Global: VHCY3.42YC

Entry Name: Denton House

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 25 October 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369197

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246409

Location: Cuddesdon and Denton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Cuddesdon and Denton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Cuddesdon

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Cuddesdon

Listing Text

SP 5902 CUDDESDON AND DENTON DENTON
Denton House.
9/21 (Formerly listed as Denton
18/07/63 House with garden wall and
gateway to road)
GV II*

Mansion. C16 and C17, re-modelled mid C18. Limestone rubble with ashlar
dressings; plain-tile roof with brick stacks. Double-depth plan of 5x3
bays. 3 storeys. Symmetrical mid-C18 5-window (south) front with central
segmental-arched door with moulded architrave and keyblock under a segmental
stone hood on consoles; above are narrow sashes, 8-pane to first floor with
moulded round-cornered architrave and keyblock, and 4-pane to second floor
with rectangular architrave; flanking at each floor are pairs of narrow
renewed sashes with roll-moulded surrounds and keyblocks; the wall has plinth,
moulded storey-bands and a heavy cornice below a plain parapet. To right is a
single-storey one-bay wing with an C18 sash. Additional C20 sashes have been
inserted either side of the central first-floor window. Return front to left
has remains of C17 moulded string-courses and simpler keyblock surrounds,
probably earlier. Return front to right has some C18 sashes, 2 leaded cross-
windows and 2 bell-shaped lead rainwater-heads with dolphin crests and the date
1757. Rear has C17 string-courses and remains of a C17 moulded-stone window-
surround. Concealed roof of 3 spans with a timber bell-cote. Interior:
Central cross-hall at each floor with a large oak open-well stair at the
rear with flat moulded balusters and the date lb14 on panelling and a large
moulded stone Tudor-arched fireplaces a smaller similar fireplace is in a
second-floor room immediately above. To right of the entrance hall is a room
with C18 chestnut and elm full-height fielded panelling with a dentil cornice.
At the rear but now internal are remains of a C16 stone-mullioned window with
ovolo-moulded 4-centre arched lights.
(V.C.H. Oxfordshire V. p,l06 Buildings of England, Oxfordshire, p.564)


Listing NGR: SP5934602553

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.