History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas a Beckett

A Grade II* Listed Building in Elsfield, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7859 / 51°47'9"N

Longitude: -1.2178 / 1°13'3"W

OS Eastings: 454053

OS Northings: 209978

OS Grid: SP540099

Mapcode National: GBR 8YL.YSG

Mapcode Global: VHCXN.VC2T

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas a Beckett

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369209

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246568

Location: Elsfield, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX3

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Elsfield

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Elsfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Beckley

Listing Text

ELSFIELD
SP50NW
4/48 Church of St. Thomas a
18/07/63 Beckett

GV II*


Church. Late C12, late C13 and early C15, restored 1849 and by G.E. Street in
1859. Limestone rubble and ashlar; stone-slate roofs. Nave, chancel, south porch
and vestry. C13 chancel has 3 lancets each side, one later extended downwards,
and a 3-light east window with flowing tracery. C15 south wall of nave has 2
windows of 3 pointed lights under a square head. Small early C19 porch has an
arched entrance containing the old studded door from the C17 square-headed south
doorway. Rebuilt north side of the nave has two C19 lancets. West wall has a
central buttress between C13 lancets and a double bellcote. Interior:
Transitional chancel arch with volute capitals and corner spurs to the bases;
lowered side window in chancel with a stone bookrest; C13 trefoil-headed
piscina; C19 arch-braced roofs. Chancel walls retain areas of C13 painted
masonry and stencil decoration above a C18 mosaic dado and a mosaic reredos of
c.1860 by Salviati. Fittings include a Jacobean pulpit, with arched panels, and
communion rails with bulbous balusters and a carved pulvinated frieze, probably
a reused desk front from late C17 stalls of very high quality. The church has
strong links with Christ Church, Oxford which must be a possible origin. C19
stained glass in east window and 3 lancets in nave. Monuments include a C18
marble wall monument and a C17 black marble ledger.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.591-2).


Listing NGR: SP5405309978

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.