History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Woodeaton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.804 / 51°48'14"N

Longitude: -1.2272 / 1°13'37"W

OS Eastings: 453380

OS Northings: 211986

OS Grid: SP533119

Mapcode National: GBR 8YD.VZ4

Mapcode Global: VHCXG.PX2F

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 5 June 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369224

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246760

Location: Woodeaton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX3

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Woodeaton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Woodeaton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Islip

Listing Text

WOODEATON
SP51SW
1/239 Manor House
18/07/63 (Formerly listed as Woodeaton
Manor Special School)

GV II*

Manor house, now school. 1775 for John Weyland; porch, east wing and interiors
c.1790 by Sir John Soane. Limestone ashlar; stone-slate roofs. Double-pile plan,
extended. 3 storeys. Symmetrical 5-bay front, with dentil cornice below cills of
attic storey, has, in the centre bay, an arched entrance with door and fanlight
between narrow sashes, all behind an Ionic tetrastyle Coade-stone portico, and
has corresponding triplets of sashes at first and second floors; ground-floor
sashes in second and fourth bays have arched heads. Single-storey kitchen wing
to left. Shallow-pitched hipped roofs behind plain parapets. 7-bay rear has a
basement storey but the top storey becomes a mansard roof; central bay is canted
and has 3 full-length sashes with iron balconies at upper-ground floor. 4-window
wing is divided as a 2-window 3-storey pavilion and a 2-storey linking range,
both with sashes and arched recesses at upper-ground floor. Interior: Entrance
hall has paired doorways with panelled mahogany doors, and doorcases with
delicate entablatures; rams-head cornice; white marble fireplace with Ionic
columns and inlaid vases in green veined marble. 3 principal rooms facing rear
have similar doors and decoration, and have further fine fireplaces - drawing
room: white marble with figurative central tablet, baskets of fruit, and musical
instruments; bay-ended, library: festoons and brown marble inlay; dining room:
grey marble inlay, ox heads, and vase on central tablet. Other rooms have C18
cornices and plainer fireplaces. Open-well stair has cantilevered oak treads and
a wrought-iron balustrade. Portico is noted as signed "Coade London 1791".
Soane's proposed balancing wing was never built.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.310; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire,
pp.853-4).


Listing NGR: SP5338011986

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.