History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court Place

A Grade II Listed Building in Old Marston, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7742 / 51°46'27"N

Longitude: -1.2359 / 1°14'9"W

OS Eastings: 452814

OS Northings: 208665

OS Grid: SP528086

Mapcode National: GBR 8YS.LCS

Mapcode Global: VHCXN.JNGS

Entry Name: Court Place

Listing Date: 5 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369227

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246668

Location: Old Marston, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX3

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Civil Parish: Old Marston

Built-Up Area: Oxford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Marston

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Oxford

Listing Text

MARSTON OXFORD ROAD
SP50NW (East side)
Old Marston
4/148 No.33 (Court Place)

- II


Farmhouse, now house. Possibly early C16, enlarged late C17/early C18 and
remodelled c,1880. Coursed squared limestone rubble and uncoursed rubble;
plain-tile roof with brick stacks, T-plan, extended. 2 storeys. Entrance is in
angle, and earliest range, to right, projects to front and rear. Remains of a
moulded plinth and string on front gable wall. Front windows in both ranges have
late-Cl9 stone mullions and, at ground floor, transoms and relieving arches.
Return wall of early range has casements (including one with C17/early C18
three-light frame) and a small sash. Late C19 range, inserted to rear of
entrance wing, has stone-mullioned windows. Interior: Coffered ceiling with
elaborately-moulded oak cornices and V-shaped beams, all with run-out stops,
probably early C16; early C18 dogleg stair with heavy turned balusters. Farm
owned by Brasenose College, Oxford, since c,1500. Manorial court was held in the
house.


Listing NGR: SP5281408665

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.