This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.717 / 51°43'1"N
Longitude: -1.0924 / 1°5'32"W
OS Eastings: 462799
OS Northings: 202422
OS Grid: SP627024
Mapcode National: GBR B12.6NC
Mapcode Global: VHCY4.03VK
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Last Amended: 21 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369258
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246867
Location: Great Milton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Great Milton
Built-Up Area: Great Milton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Great Milton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
GREAT MILTON CHURCH ROAD
SP60SW (East side)
5/101 Church of St. Mary
18/07/63 (Formerly listed as Church of
St. Mary the Virgin)
Church. C11/12, C13 and mainly early C14. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar
dressings; sheet metal roofs. 3-bay aisled nave with chancel, west tower and
south porch. Chancel retains a tiny round-headed window on each side and a C13
lancet to south, but has 2-light side windows and a 4-light east window of
Decorated style. South aisle is entirely elaborate Decorated work with a high
moulded plinth, gabled buttresses with ogee-canpied niches, and 3-light side
windows, 4-light east window and 2-light west window, each of a different
tracery pattern. 2-storey south porch has a ribbed quadripartite vault with
richly-carved boss, and the parapet continuing around the aisle has fantastic
gargoyles. North aisle is plainer with 3-light windows of reticulated tracery,
but incorporates a C13 doorway with deeply-moulded arch and 5 shafts, both
detached and attached, with stiff-leaf capitals. 3-stage late C14 tower has deep
diagonal buttresses, 2-light west window with early Perpendicular tracery and
2-light belfry openings with Y-tracery. Low clerestory has quatrefoil windows
and a 3-light east window. Interior: Chancel has a low king post roof with
curved braces from wall posts. In the south wall is a 3-seat C19 sedilia, a C15
pisinca and remains of a C13 piscina, and to north a double aumbrey. Nave
arcades are early C13, the west arch of the south arcade being the earliest.
Traces of Norman openings are outlined above the north arcade. Nave roof is
dated 1522. South aisle has a tie-beam roof dated 1735 and contains a large C14
piscina with double-cusped reticulated tracery. Glass: East window of 1850 by
Willement and other mid C19 glass in chancel and at west end of aisles; C14
panels in 1915 window in north aisle; C20 windows in south aisle by Farrer Bell.
Fittings: Mid C17 pulpit with arched panels, C19 choir stalls incorporating a
medieval bench-end carved with chalice and flagons. Monuments: C15 brass to 4
children; sumptuous canopied alabaster monument to Sir Michael Dormer (died
1616) his wife and his father, with 3 full-length figures and high-quality
carved panels including a military scene; elaborate alabaster cartouche to
Joanna Meetkerke (died 1695); monument with swan-necked pediment to Elizabeth
Wilkinson (died 1654); several C18 wall monuments.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.III; Buildings of England: 0xfordshire, pp.620-22).
Listing NGR: SP6279402422
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings