History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House and Garden Walls to Rear

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Milton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7169 / 51°43'0"N

Longitude: -1.0917 / 1°5'30"W

OS Eastings: 462846

OS Northings: 202405

OS Grid: SP628024

Mapcode National: GBR B12.6TX

Mapcode Global: VHCY4.137P

Entry Name: The Manor House and Garden Walls to Rear

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369260

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246871

Location: Great Milton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Great Milton

Built-Up Area: Great Milton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Milton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Great Milton

Listing Text

GREAT MILTON CHURCH ROAD
SP60SW (East side)
5/105 The Manor House and garden
18/07/63 walls to rear

GV II*


Manor house, now hotel. Late C15, late C16/early C17 and late C17; much extended
about 1908 by E.P. Warren. Limestone rubble with some ashlar dressings; old
plain-tile roof and brick stacks. H-plan. 2 storeys plus attics. Front has low
3-window central range, roughcast at first floor, with doorway to left of
centre. Old double-boarded door has moulded frame and early C18 flat hood on
wooden consoles. 3 roof dormers, front stack and all casements are C20, C17
stack with 4 diagonal shafts to right. Late C17 projecting cross wing to left
has ashlar storey bands and flush banding. It retains a 2-light stone mullioned
window with label in the gable, but has been much altered. Corresponding early
C17 wing to right has been rebuilt as central main entrance of extended house,
but retains two 2-light mullioned windows in its left return wall; the lower
with label, the upper with straight hood and both having ovolo chamfers. Rear
has 4 gables, the central pair a C17 infilling of the H-plan with several
straight-chamfered mullioned windows and at least one original cross window. The
rear of the left wing has its original pattern of cross windows, the right wing
has 4-light mullioned windows with ovolo chamfers and there are similar windows
in a bay further to the right and flush with the gable. The rear entrance,
opposite the front door, has an old 2-panel door. The remainder of the house is
in similar mullioned style with dressings of orange Cotswold stone and irregular
parapeted gables. Interior: Several bolection-moulded fireplaces and one with a
Tudor arch and recessed spandrels; a panelled room with pulvinated frieze; late
C17 dogleg stair with heavy turned balusters and ball finials to the newels. The
central range has the remains of a through passage with a Tudor-arched wooden
door frame at the rear and an arched opening to the left. The floor with heavy
chamfered and stopped joists to right of the passage is an early C17 insertion
into an open hall built 1474-7, of which there survive some heavily jowled posts
at first floor and the tie beams (and possibly more) of the roof. The hall was
built for William Radmyld. Partly C17 rear garden of coursed limestone rubble
extends from left of house and across rear of first garden, passing around two
sides of a square pond at a lower level. Stone steps to pond lead down through a
Tudor-arched doorway with recessed spandrels and 3 rectangular openings with
baluster mullions give view outwards. There is also a plainer 4-centre arched
doorway. On one angle of the wall is a stone column with square head bearing a
sundial on one face; probably C17.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VII, p.120j Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.622;
J.H. Harvey, 'Great Milton, Oxfordshire; and Thorncroft, Surrey ..', J. Brit.
Archaeol. Ass. Ser. 3, Vol.XVIII (1955), 42-56).


Listing NGR: SP6286202383

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.