History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II Listed Building in Nettlebed, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5752 / 51°34'30"N

Longitude: -0.9937 / 0°59'37"W

OS Eastings: 469832

OS Northings: 186740

OS Grid: SU698867

Mapcode National: GBR B2Y.1LM

Mapcode Global: VHDW6.QNJT

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 13 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369329

English Heritage Legacy ID: 247124

Location: Nettlebed, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG9

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Nettlebed

Built-Up Area: Nettlebed

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Nettlebed with Highmoor

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Nettlebed

Listing Text

NETTLEBED HIGH STREET
SU6986
(South side)
12/102 Church of St. Bartholomew
GV II
Church. Probably late C18 tower, church 1845-6 by Henry Hakewill. Grey brick
with some red brick to tower; stone window surrounds; slate roof. 4-bay nave
with south aisle, 2-bay chancel, vestry to south and west tower Early English
style. Plank door with 2 centre arch and stone surround to gabled porch with
slate roof to left of centre. Three C19 reticulated tracery windows to south
aisle, 2 lancets to chancel. 2-span roof to church. Vestry in angle between
south aisle and chancel with plank door to angle and gable above with
reticulated tracery; complex hipped roof. Tower to left of 3 stages: Plank door
to rendered ground floor; Y-tracery window to first floor; paired lancet to 2nd
floor, crenellated parapet to roof. Reticulated tracery east window.
Interior: Brass memorial plate of 1637 and good C18 stone memorials in south
aisle. Early C20 pulpit of green and cream marble. East window and western
window of south aisle by John Piper.
(Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, p.714).


Listing NGR: SU6983286740

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.