This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7523 / 51°45'8"N
Longitude: -1.2561 / 1°15'21"W
OS Eastings: 451450
OS Northings: 206222
OS Grid: SP514062
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.186
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.56TZ
Entry Name: The Mitre Hotel
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369357
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245475
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Michael and St Martin and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
The Mitre Hotel
SP 5106 SW 8/311 12,1.54.
Includes No 17. RCHM 54. 3 and 4 storeyed stuccoed, partly rubble and partly
brick and timber framing, with C13 and Cl7 cellars. The South front was
rebuilt circa l630 and altered in C18; the East range of the South front
was originally Cl7 but has been heightened in C19 and modernised. The East
elevation is C17 but has been modernised. On the North there are modern
additions to a C17 block. The South elevation is of 3 and 4 storeys stuccoed
with a Welsh slate roof which is partly hipped on the South East corner.
3-sided bays and sash windows on each floor. There is an overhang on the
East range which has plastered rusticated quoins at the South East angle.
Wood cornice at the 2nd floor. A C17 moulded entrance doorway is in the
centre which originally led through to a yard. East elevation is 3-storeyed
stuccoed which has been modernised but retains the late C18 sash windows.
On the North elevation a central block and a West wing has 3 storeys with
attics and a overhang. 3 gables have moulded bargeboards and pendant finials
and in the gables are 3 oriel windows with moulded wood cills and carved
brackets, one of the latter being dated 1631; there are also sash windows.
Interior:- RCHM p 162. Includes Cl3 and C17 cellars, C17 fireplaces and
blocked windows, C17 and C18 staircases, C17 panelling and plastered ceiling
beams. History:- Has been an inn from circa 1300 and known as the Mitre
from circa 1500. The property of Lincoln College since 1450. The interior
has been completely modernised (1968) and the upper floors are now student
accomodation for Lincoln College. The lower floors remain a Public House.
Most of the features have been retained.
All the listed buildings on the North Side form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5144206219
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings