History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

90, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Oxford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7526 / 51°45'9"N

Longitude: -1.2528 / 1°15'10"W

OS Eastings: 451676

OS Northings: 206250

OS Grid: SP516062

Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.22M

Mapcode Global: VHCXV.76KT

Entry Name: 90, High Street

Listing Date: 12 January 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369387

English Heritage Legacy ID: 245521

Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Town: Oxford

Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell

Built-Up Area: Oxford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Oxford

Listing Text

HIGH STREET
1.
1485
(South Side)
No 90
SP 5106 SE 9/360 12.1.54
II GV
2.
House and shop. RCHM 64. Early Cl7 and refronted in Cl8-19. 4-storeyed
stucccoed Otimbber--framing with cellars, a moulded eaves cornice, parapet,
Welsh slate roof and brick stacks. Carried up throu the uppeer flrs are
22 bay windo s with 3-light sash windows. On the ground floor on each side
of the shop is a d oru in a reeded rame flae d by aan engaged Doric column.
6-panel doors in a pair. Late Cl9 shop. Roof not visible. Interior. RCHM
p 163 b. Includes a blocked original doorway and a partly renewed staircase;
a plaster ceiling with moulded ornamented beams; original panelling, fireplaces
and over-mantels. At the back is an addition (now a lecture room of University
College) built by James Adam, a cabinet maker, circa 1812; it has 2 Venetian
windows. History. Built in 16l2 by John Williams apothecary and refronted
by James Adam, probably early in Cl9. In 1905 it was acquired by University
College of which it is now part. Here lodged the mother of John Ruskin when
he was at Christ Church, 1836-40.

All the listed buildings on the South Side form a group.


Listing NGR: SP5167406247

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.