This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.752 / 51°45'7"N
Longitude: -1.2565 / 1°15'23"W
OS Eastings: 451420
OS Northings: 206187
OS Grid: SP514061
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.150
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.57L7
Entry Name: 130, High Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369390
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245539
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Michael and St Martin and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 5106 SW 8/344 12.1.54.
House and shops. RCHM. 75. C15-C16. The front part of the house is 2-storeyed
roughcast timber-framing with 2 gables and cellars; the upper part, set back
from the street, is of 3-storeyed timber-framing with 2 gabled attic dormers
and a modern tile roof. The building at the back was heightened early in
C17. The windows and the back upper part has casement windows. The South
side of the front part, on a passage way on the East, was rebuilt in brick
(? circa 1929). At the North end of the passage way is an ancient wood doorframe
with moulded jambs and 4-centred head. Interior. RCHM page 165b. Includes
moulded ceiling beams and a (? reset) C16 fireplace; C16 and circa 1600 panelling
and a queen-post roof. History. Owned circa 1600 by Alderman William Boswell,
mercer, who died in 1638 and was succeeded by Dr William Boswell DCL. The
latter sold in 1689 to Thomas Reeve, tobacco pipe maker, who left it to the
City in 1697, for the benefit of poor widows. It was occupied by the Carter
family, brush makers and fishmongers from circa 1797 to circa 1920. It
was condemned in 1929, but the front was preserved and a new building made
at the back; the latter, however, was damaged by fire within a few months.
All the listed buildings on the South Side form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5142006187
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings