This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7514 / 51°45'5"N
Longitude: -1.2525 / 1°15'8"W
OS Eastings: 451698
OS Northings: 206119
OS Grid: SP516061
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.257
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.77QQ
Entry Name: Beam Hall, with Number 3
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Last Amended: 28 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369414
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245648
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Beam Hall, with No 3
(Formerly listed as
SP 5106 SE 9/465 12.1.54.
RCHM 79. Built in 2 sections, that on the East being built as a Hall, in
C15 and that on the West about 1600; the -latter was altered in Cl8 and in
1885. The East range. The south front is recessed from the West range
by about 3 ft and is of lower height. 2-storeyed pilastered rubble with
cellars and a stone slate roof in which 3 Cl7 gabled attic dormers, the two
on the East being larger than that on the West; the East one has moulded
barge-boards and in the West is a 3-light casement window in a modern stone
frame. In the ground floor are 2 original 2-light stone caveto-moulded mullioned
windows with square heads, and 1 small window in a moulded stone frame.
At the west end in the 1st floor, which was inserted probably about 1600,
is a 3-light stone mullioned window in a moulded frame. The West range
is of 2 storeys with cellars and 4 gables in which are attics. The front
was restored in 1885 by sir T G Jackson and is now cement-faced with imitation
masonry joints. There is a continuous moulded string over the ground and
1st floors and a moulded cornice below the gables. The ground floor has
2 3-light stone mullioned windows and 2 similar but larger windows with sashes,
all with square moulded labels. In the lst floor are 1 3-light and 2 2-light
stone mullioned windows with a projecting bay of 3 lights with sashes. The
4 windows in the 4 gables have 3-light casements. There is a moulded flat
wooden bracketed hood to the doorway. On the East is a stone-based stack
with a modern brick shaft and the roof is of modern tiles. Interior. RCHM
p 166 b. Includes in the East block the original roof timbers, and early
Cl7 staircase, a C17 fireplace and some C16-17 panelling. For drawing of
exterior by J C Buckler in 182l, see MS Bodl Don A 3 1 52. Major
Beam Hall and Nos 3, 4A and 5 from a group with New Block, Corpus Christ
College and Oriel College.
Listing NGR: SP5169806120
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings